This Disappears When Logged In

Which Pet Should I Get Next?!

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Scaleyball, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Scaleyball

Scaleyball New Member

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I am a somewhat experienced keeper. I have a ball python and a panther chameleon right now. I have two empty cages, and I'm wanting to fill at least one for now. I have a 36x28x18 vision cage and a 48x24x16 custom cage. I'd really like a good size of a lizard, nothing tiny are small. Something that I could handle atleast three times a week for 30 min. I don't want something that eats veggies either, just insects and meat I guess. Please don't suggest bearded dragons, blue tongue skinks or leopard geckos. I was thinking on ackie monitor but they are just so hard to find! I looked into Timor monitors but I've learned that they are real shy and skittish but available often. I'm not planning on getting anything too soon, I would want to research them for a while and get everything ready. I would greatly appreciate it if you can give me some suggestions on some cool, unique lizard. Thanks in advance! If you have Timor monitors and they aren't as bad as most people say, let me know!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What abo ut a stepprunner? or leopard lizard?

3. Scaleyball

Scaleyball New Member

I like stepprunners but I feel like they're on the small side, I never knew about the leopard lizard so I looked it up and there's little to nothing on info about them. I like how they look tho.

Any more suggestions guys?

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Those habitats are not suitable for adult monitors and yes the vast majority of Timors are reclusive.

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I have a peacock monitor which is almost the same as a timor monitor. Pretty boring pet to be honest. If you build the enclosure correctly, you'll almost never see it. I see mine maybe twice a month, and I do look for her every day. I feel like i'm just throwing food into an empty enclosure most of the time.

6. dragodragon262

dragodragon262 Well-Known Member

Baby savanah monitor? How bout baby chinese water dragon i have one he's cool .crested geckos tooo. Pixie frog? They get huge though but they eat pinkys and fish when they get older. I mean how bout a nice bearded dragon (leather back german giant) . But your cage dimensions right now r too small for any larger monitor.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The cage dimensions are really too small for any lizard that gets over 14-18in and even then its a bit iffy. Though I will say they are too short and small for either a baby sav or a baby cwd.
    what about armadillo lizard? Wiptail lizard? gargoyle gecko? Leachius gecko? or those blue with red polkadot geckos? fire skink? legless lizard (this would be interesting)?

and what about a highly active frog like a small colony of dart frogs or walking toads?

8. Scaleyball

Scaleyball New Member

I was actually thinking in the European legless lizard, but I don't know anything about them. Do you guys know of any accurate care sheets?

Do you know of any reliable breeders that breed ackies?

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Nope. i wish I did.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member