This Disappears When Logged In

Which Lizard is Best for a Beginner??

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by LizardGirl13, Oct 7, 2014.

1. LizardGirl13

LizardGirl13 New Member

Hi Everyone!!! I'm new here on Herp Center! So as of right I'm thinking about owning and taking care of a reptile...manly desert lizards. I've been interested in owning one for a while now but right now i dont have the money until i have some saved up plus i dont have the room in my bedroom due to a fresh water 20 gallon tall aquarium that im thinking of taking it down....getting off track now :)
    So im debating between two desert lizards that are small and easy to handle...Leopard Gecko or Steppe Runner Lizard. I've been doing research on both for a while now...so my questions are....

Things needed:
    -What are the enclosure sizes for both?
    -What Substrate is ok for both?
    -What type of lighting should i use for the Steppe Runner Lizard? and Would a Black light blub be ok for a leopard gecko along with a heat mat??
    -What are the temperatures for both?
    -What is the humidity within the enclosure and how should i measure it?
    -What type of food should i feed? Crickets or mileworms?
    -What are some concerns or issues that i may have to deal with the long run?

So Which is better? I'm open to any advice and ideas on setup the enclosures for either the Leopard Gecko or Steppe Runner Lizard

plz and thankyou!! :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

i agree with merlin, but maybe even a bearded dragon, but they require specific lighting and a bit of a larger cage as adults.....

4. LizardGirl13

LizardGirl13 New Member

Hmm....so your saying a bearded dragon is better than a leopard gecko right? I'm just curious... Cuz a friend of mine said either get a bearded dragon or leopard gecko...can any of you give me a good description and advice on both...you see I don't have a lot of money right now...also should I buy one or the other as a baby or a juvenile(from a breeder than going to petsmart or petco) or adult(from a local reptile rescue here in AZ)? I'm just trying to get a good idea before I go out and buy the little guy or gal :)

5. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Bearded dragons are nice due to personality and interacting with you more than most leopard geckos (always exceptions of course). They can be more expensive due to you need insects and veggies, unless you have a variety of veggies or a garden already. They also require more work and poo a lot bigger! And stinkier.... Baths, cleaning, and sometimes hard heating requirements without a nice tank.

Leopard geckos are very easy to care for, smaller, but nocturnal. You can buy bugs in bulk and keep them in your house, unless you have apposition to that. They can be sweet and don't need baths nor veggies.

I personally prefer beardies only because of the interaction they can give. In terms of adoption vs. buying, it is really up to you. I'm always an advocate for adoption because it definitely is a need! But, as a beginner, I'd stay away from ones that have disabilities or special requirements. Also, if it is an adult, it won't live as long as getting a baby and will (probably) much more mellow. Rescues get in young things, too, you just may have to wait a little bit! Buying from breeders can offer things such as beautiful morphs, new borns, and other perks. But some morphs can be very expensive.

A few more tips: Do tons of research on your own! You may fall in love with a different type of reptile that isn't so common! And so you know exactly what you're getting into. Common health problems are always great to research so you can get rid of something before it really sets in. Make sure the breeder or rescue is putting out healthy pets so you don't end up with a dead animal. And lastly, buying supplies online or at a local reptile convention can be much cheaper than going through a pet store!

Have fun choosing a baby! And pictures are always required! ;)

6. LizardGirl13

LizardGirl13 New Member

Ok thankyou CrazySnakeLady! I'll be doing some more research on Little Beardies :) and thx for the advice on where to go to get the supplies for them than going to the pet store...which I hate going to petsmart when its dealing with fish supplies ;) but your true about there maybe a unique reptile out there that I might fall in love with....I'm just trying to get my mom to open up to the reptile world but she just doesn't like them due to the hard work and caring for them...and I've told her once that its an experiment for me to see if I can handle this project...so lets see happenings in the long run! :D

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

another thing with bearded dragons since you mentioned money. Not only will they need a much larger tank than a leo, they need UVB lighting, which isn't cheap. And will need to be replaced about every 6 months.

8. LizardGirl13

LizardGirl13 New Member

Your right about that...I've been looking on websites that sell reptile supplies for certain species that is recommended for them. I may just keep looking around and doing some research on beardieds and Leo..but I will also research on some skinks...I mean blue tongue and/or sandfish skink or the other one that starts with a "O" which I can't remember the name. But also look in Uro's and the cute....I mean cute and looks like a little dinosaur..the Steppe Runner Lizard from the Ukraine... But like I said I'm doing research right now and list prices to come down to. :)