This Disappears When Logged In

Which is Better, a Fogger, or a Mister to Get Snakes Humidity Up???

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by jezabella1982, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

my new hog island has a dent in his eye, and i think it may be from dehydration???
    i HOPE he is drinking, i have fresh water always in his cage, but i have never seen him drink!
    i thiink a fogger or mister might help, but i dont know what to get.
    please help, i feel like a bad mommy:-(

2. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

If you feel he is dehydrated, try soaking first. A fogger will create too much humidity which can lead to many problems. I haven't seen an eye issue like that related to dehydration. Call a vet...?

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not sure that the dent is related to dehydration: just wait until the next shed and see if it's better.
    Give him a water dish that is big enough for him to soak in if he wants to.

Foggers tend to cool the air too much and bacteria can grow in the tubes and water container. Automatic misters can spray too much water.

The best thing is a little hand mister for house plants. (They only cost about a dollar.) Put warm water in it and spray him once or twice a day by hand.
    Empty the water each time and let it dry, then there's no risk of mold or bacteria.
    That's what I do for our GTPs.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What is the humidity in your tank? This is the best way to find out if it's too dry. What is the top of your tank made out of?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The dent is related to humidity in the tank, not dehydration in the snake. Ball pythons get them from time to time. Try misting heavily and the dent should go away.
    But you do need to address the humidity issue. How are you housing him? If its a screen top aquarium, you need to cover part of the screen

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually the dent in question tends to look as if the snake had banged it on something leaving a crease in the eye cap. Its freaky looking but not serious.

8. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

yeah, i have a screen lid and it is sooo hard to keep humidity in there. i have a piece of plexiglass covering 1/2 the top, too.
    i try and keep humidity at 40-60, but it usually is at 30, sometimes i see it and its 20:-( ( but then i mist right away)
    maybe i need a new cage.......

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

No, you need a new top. If you are handy, you can make it out of wood. Cover the whole top, with a hole cut out for the light fixture.