This Disappears When Logged In

Where Can I Find a Storeria Dekayi (brown Snake)? Ive Been Looking Forever

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by crisler, Apr 5, 2014.

1. crisler

crisler New Member

I found a storeria dekayi snake one day in my flower bed after digging in it for the first time in years and there were about 3-4 of them but I caught one and put it in a bucket to see what it was because I didn't think it was a garter. I put it back after I found out online what it was but after digging in the same areas a week later I didn't find it. I looked today as well, another week between when I last looked and nothing but skins and toads. Where can I find one? How can I attract one? Ive read that setting a heating pad on low at night in a dark area is a sure way to attract snakes.

Anyways i really regret releasing it I just want one of them to come back I want to keep it as a pet I have slugs everywhere in my garden I could easily set up a slug colony for feeding but I love these snakes wish I could breed them and release them to populate my garden and keep the snails away. Anyways does anyone know how to either find a dekay's brown snake or attract one or find one online? Im really infatuated by small snake species. Thanks!

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Re: Where Can I Find a Storeria Dekayi (brown Snake)? Ive Been Looking Fore

Only way to attract DK's to your area is to set your garden area as an organic system with everything the DK want to live in. Toxins to control pests will drive off the DK as they eat the pests and get poisoned themselves.

3. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

anywhere slugs and snails are plentiful. Heating pads will not work, they are a cool temperature snake that hide from the sun most of the day and prefer to hunt early am or pm when the sun is over the horizon.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Releasing captive animals into the wild is highly illegal in most areas.

5. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

this^^^^

and, if the population of slugs and snails is sufficient to support the snakes, you can attract them by laying out hide spots and setting out some flat stones in secluded areas where a little sunlight can reach the stone, yet allow the snakes to feel secure.

I intentionally set sheets of old plywood in the back end of my lawn to attract garter snakes to the area. I leave them alone and simply photograph them...

in summary, make the habitat attractive to wild snakes, and they will find the area and stick around a while.