This Disappears When Logged In

Where are all the Chameleon people????

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by chamluvr, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chamluvr

chamluvr Member

Oh come on guys! Where are the posts? The questions? The "help my Chameleon is turning purple...is that bad?" posts??? Surly someone else has nothing better to do than look up chameleon trivia too??? :p

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I love chams, but if I were to get one now, I'd either have to keep it at a friend's house, or have my sister watch over it, and considering the care they need that just wouldn't work. I had a veiled when I was a kid though.

3. sarah

sarah New Member

Hi I am new to this forum. my name is sarah, i have a female veiled chameleon we aquired this summer from a friend. At first she was a pale green color and did not change much. We have been feeding her every day and got a new grow light in her cage and now she is all kinds of colors and is more active and seems happier. I think we spoil her a little. However just recently, when ever we go in the room & up to her cage, she gets all big and opens her mouth and rocks back and forth and her colors get bold with bright blue & orange spots. I don't know why she is doing this? If anyone out there has any idea of why she might do this please let me know. thanks sarah

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Welcome to HC Sarah. It sounds like an aggressive display to "warn" you.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, from what little I know about chams, she is telling you to back off and leave her alone. Chams really aren't handling animals anyway.
    You mentioned a "grow light".These are great for plants but for the health of your cham you will need a UVB generating bulb specifically for reptiles.

6. sarah

sarah New Member

My set-up has 3 different types of lights, so that isn't an issue. Her colors an d digestive system have greatly improved with the grow light. I know, based on the books, that this is to try to scare me off. It's just that recently she has become more agressive and I don't know why. Before, I could actually hand feed her and she didn't act the way she does now. I wasn't sure if maybe it has something to do with her possibly getting ready to lay eggs or something like that? I was told that if she is getting ready to lay eggs, she'll turn black. She has not done that, though.

7. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

Hi Sarah, the lights you have right now may not be an issue yet but if one of them isn't a UVB light it will be an issue in a couple of months. Less, if your cham is gravid.

How old is she? She may be reaching sexual maturity and not wanting anyone in her territory.

8. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

I'm a little late to the game here, but based on your description, I'm guessing she's gravid - the colors you describe sound very much like it. Have you provided her a place to lay the eggs - this is very stressful on them, and the behavior sounds like that's what's going on here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.