This Disappears When Logged In

When to Stop Powerfeeding a Bullsnake

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by Schwing, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Schwing

Schwing Member

This past January I rescued an adult bullsnake through my local Herp Society. All we know about his history is that he was left abandoned in someone's apartment for who knows how long. He was ridiculously underweight, with his spine protruding over 1/4" and his ribs visible all the way down his body. Thankfully, he's a bullsnake... And he eats everything. Because he was so severely underweight, I decided to powerfeed him. I started by feeding him 1 adult mouse every-other day, then after a month I switched to small rats every 4 days. He is making a great recovery and is one of the nicest snakes I've ever had.

However, I'm wondering when I should back off to feeding once a week? I've heard several opinions on the proper weight for bullsnakes, from "you want their body to just slightly point at the top of their back" to "you want their back to look like the top of a loaf of bread (like with enough body weight to make it hump over on each side of the spine)". What's your opinion?

This is from the day we got him:
    IMG_20140104_100130.jpg
    IMG_20140104_100708.jpg
    IMG_20140104_100200.jpg

And now:
    20140421_163714.jpg

2. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I think he looks awesome now and you can back off and feed him every two weeks, an appropriate size rat.

Lovely guy!

If he was really starving when you got him and not just rather skinny, it may have not been such a good idea in the first place to feed him so often as you did, because of the risk of his vomiting or regurgitation of his meals, but you did, and he seems to be OK now, so feed normally.

3. Schwing

Schwing Member

Thanks TamJam! I had gotten the advice from our state's Herpetologist, as well as everyone else in the Herp Society I adopted him through which is why I fed him so frequently. I was basically just told "Feed him as often as you can as long as he keeps it down". It worked well :)

Scotty likes this.