This Disappears When Logged In

When to Handle New GTP?

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by Snakewomen, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

I got my new GTP about 2 weeks ago and she ate last thursday. When Can I try and hold her? I know people say that they are only display snakes but the guy I got her from says she's really really sweet. Oh and she's an adult.

thanks

2. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Ok I got impatient haha :p I held her for only 5-10 minutes since it was the first time. All went well, she only hissed at me when I first touched her :D

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

She may in fact be sweet and tolerate handling but it will stress them out the more you do. Handling IMO should be kept to a minimum. No one that gets a snake to handle gets chondros. Adults will fair better but the species is certainly more delicate, just never pry it off its perch....

4. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Sorry, the way I said that sounded like I was planning on holding her alot. I'm not, just enough to keep her used to me and when I have to completely clean her cage. And I definitely did not get a chondro to handle all the time, she's still a display snake. And I would never ever pry her off her perch. I just took the perch out and gently and patiently coaxed her off of it until she was fully on my hands.