This Disappears When Logged In

When Did You First Start Keeping Reptiles, or Become Fascinated by Them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Runningmom, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Since I am new I just thought it would be a fun question.

I don't even know when I started being so fascinated. I know one time I caught a frog when I was about 12. It escaped unfortunately, in the garage. And I hate to think what happened to it. I hope it got back to the creek in our front yard.

I love going to parks and seeing turtles. One time I was running or rollerblading and saw a huge turtle in the path. I don't even know what kind of turtle it was. Some Ohio native. :). It was Spring, so she was probably looking for food or sunning herself.

Right before we had a cold snap, I saw a baby snake late last Fall in my yard. On my sidewalk! It was a sunny day, and the poor thing was probably confused. I thought it was a large worm then I realized it was a baby garter snake lol. It was exciting to me because we are in a neighborhood where many people treat their lawns with fertilizers and weed killers...so I never see these little critters such as snakes or frogs, but last summer we had a nice big fat toad hanging out :)

I also saw a hawk or possibly a falcon hanging around. Which is a possible reason I do not see reptile critters :)

So when did everyone start being a herp addict?:)

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Re: When Did You First Start Keeping Reptiles, or Become Fascinated by Them

When I was really young I lived on a military base and there were these huge ginormous toads or frogs that were as big as a dinner plate and I stepped on one one night I thought it was so awesome and would do nicely as a monster under my sisters bed. So I grabbed my dads creeper and a box and carted it home.
    Unfortunately the dogs found it before my sister did and I had to let him go. I named blobert.

After that I didn't really have and reptiles though I had lots of mammals that I rescued. Well when I was 11 a neighbor that worked on a tortoise conservatory place drop off a male 55year old tortoise that couldn't be left alone for long periods of time as he was amazingly creative in the ways he could flip himself over. Then after that I was given another tortoise..then a turtle...etc.
    almost 13 years later and I am still the person everyone dumps their reptiles on.

3. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Funny how that works. My mom used to be the one that people try to dump cats on lol. And she had a friend who used to take in cats and dogs.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I got interested in my old house. Our neighbor bred snakes. I became fascinated.

5. PetMother

PetMother Elite Member

My grandparents owned a small dairy farm and on there they had toads, a cute little frog who lived in the tree by the house (until a storm blew it down) who I would say good morning to when I was younger), snakes that hunted the mice, and even salamanders! This was when I was 11 ish. My grandmother found two dime sized painted turtles in the calf barn and gave them to me. I had them for years then my mother released them in the small lake by the house years later. Then my parents moved us to the country, right up the road from the farm, and there I discovered tree frogs aka squishies. Now, I have Karma, my Chinese Water Dragon, who I love dearly. I've been bitten by the reptile bug hard so now debating getting another herp in a couple of weeks at the Minneapolis Reptile Expo. :)

6. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I moved out on my own when I was 19, and worked way to much to get a dog. I was lonely, and one of the carpenters I worked with had a bearded dragon he loved. So, I purchased a bearded dragon, not knowing anything about reptiles, and never looked back. He free roamed a good part of his life. From there I just followed the natural progression of any addiction.

7. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Jami- I had a German Shepard dog who was almost 16 when she died. Her name was Karma too.

8. PetMother

PetMother Elite Member

Wow, that is neat. :) My grandparents, the same ones who owned the farm, have had German Shepherds since I could remember. They are such wonderful dogs. :)

9. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

They are! I miss her. She was great with kids. Now I have 2 border collie lab mix (yellow not black. ). I wanted black labs lol.

10. PetMother

PetMother Elite Member

Border Collie Lab mixes? WOW, talk about a pair of high energy dogs. :O When hubby and I get a house, we plan on getting a pair of Dobermans. :)

11. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yeah I have a high energy house lol. They are almost two. Still puppies. Yes they are always active. The male is more high energy than the female. They are from a rescue.

12. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Ever since I can remember I've been fascinated by reptiles. When I was a kid I dreamed of owning "green snakes" :) Now my own daughter loves watching them move around

13. I've always loved reptiles but I grew up in a family that kept them at arms length. Now that my husband and I have our own place we can fulfill our passion for them. He owned a corn snake as a kid but I never had any reptiles before this year.

14. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Well, my uncle always had large snakes and lizards, (and done small ones) t and i was always fascinated by them. But the thing that really got me going was when i was 5 out 6 there were these guys at the Virginia living museum that had albino alligators out crocodiles, and that was just the coolest thing. The first reptile i kept was a gopher snake i caught in the back yard.