This Disappears When Logged In

Wheezing and RI

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by DarkVice, Dec 2, 2012.

1. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

Hello, new to the board

I have a two to three year old Blood that's been having wheezing off and on for a couple months now. This morning was the first time any noise was clearly audible, and he's been cruising around his cage much more often than usual. This evening he's not making noise, but still patrolling his cage. Still no foaming, open-mouth breathing or anything like that. He just shed three days ago, and he is eating.

That being said how long can I get away with passing up a vet visit? I live in Japan and the nearest vet that will handle reptiles is about an hour train ride away. With the weather being as cold as it is, I'd like to avoid the trip if possible, but I'm naturally concerned about my snake.

Anything I should look out for? Any advice on boosting heat and humidity?

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

exactly! raise your temps a few degrees all around, leave the humidity normal. what are you currently keeping it at?

3. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

I have it at a pretty solid 30-31 (86-88F) on the warm end, but at night its getting down to 23-24 (73-75) on the cool.

4. JoeyG

I would raise the hot side a few degrees and don't let the temps drop below say 79 even at night on the cool side. Raising temps helps to boost their immune system, basically like a fever would trying to get rid of the virus or infection. If it's been going on for a while I think you should see a vet though. This will help it but I would say by now it probably needs meds. Good luck!

5. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

Thanks. I'll try a few things to get the temp up. In the meantime what's the longest I can put off the vet visit.
    I'm sans-car in Japan, and the trains aren't exactly warm, so I'm hesitant to make the trip during winter.

6. JoeyG

Couple of things, first if it is an RI then your other snakes can catch it so you need to make sure you keep it away from them. Also a couple of months is already a while in my opinion, snakes can often hide a serious problem till it's too late. if you need to travel and it's cold place the bag next to you inside your coat. You should be able to keep it warm that way and out of the wind. Also see if you can get some hand or foot warmers, they would help too. Best bet would be to call your vet and see if you can work something out once you tell them your issue.

7. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

Thanks I'll give that a shot.

8. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

Took him into the vet today and got some meds. Their pills which the doctor said to put into the mouse's mouth and then give to the snake. Problem is they're too big to fit into a hoppers mouth. I tried pushing it into the chest, but as I suspected it got knocked off during constriction.

Any other ways to get pills in? I'm going to try with some retires, so I'm hoping he'll be hungry enough to eat them every three days.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Can you force the pill down the hoppers throat? If not chop them up and force the into the hopper.
    Unfortunately I can think of another way to give a snake pills.

10. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

I wound up quartering the pill and shoving it in it's mouth. ONe piece wouldn't fit so I put that in the ear. It looks like he got the hole pill in, so hopefully I can keep this up.

I'm thinking I may just make a small incision in the side of the hopper and put the pill under the skin using tweezers or something.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes out you would have to really shove it in so he can't squeeze it out.

12. JoeyG

Just a thought, but when a snake is swallowing you can probably just shove the pill right behind the mouse and it should just go down too. Though your idea of cutting it up and shoving down the throat of the mouse sounds like it should work. Good luck and glad to hear the Vet visit got things going on track to recovery. Remember to keep her from the others. Lets us know how things work out.

13. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

I thought about doing that too, but as long as it's getting in there I figure it's okay.

I'm hoping this pills have an affect soon. She's still cruising around the cage a lot, and while she's sleeping with her head down, she spends a lot of time poking at the roof. The doc said it didn't look too bad, so I'm hoping she'll be back to normal before too long.

14. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

A little update on this. I've been giving him his pills every 3-days as per the doctors orders, and he still has a couple doses left. While he seems to be doing better overall, I'm still getting behavior like this on occasion. Is there something beyond basic RI that I should have him checked for?

photo-2.jpg

15. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

Happy new year folks.

Well, I thought my guy was doing better. After giving him all his pills, his wheezing is gone and he's calmed down to his normal sit in the corner 90% of the time behavior. That being said, I get home tonight and all of a sudden he's sneezing up a storm.

Once again, he's without any other symptoms, and like I said I'm not catching any kind of wheezing anymore. I've been keeping his cage at 80 on the cool end and 87 on the warm, with a pretty steady 70% humidity. The high tomorrow is supposed to 50 at the most, and I am without car, which is the only thing causing me hesitation in regards to going to the vet.

The doctors office is a bit of a walk from the station, and I got to transfer half-way through, so I'm not sure how warm I can keep him in the meantime. Worth the risk to take him or try to hold off another month till it warms up a little?

16. JoeyG

Can you talk to the vet and see if there are other possibilities? Maybe they could give you something to take home without having to bring her in.....

17. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

I'm going to call them this week to see if that's possible. IT wound up raining on top of everything else today, so taking him in really wasn't an option. For what it's worth the sneezing stopped a little after I posted last night, and I haven't heard any today. I went ahead and sprayed and wiped down everything in his cage in case there was some dust or other irritant in there, but aside from being a little more jumpy than usual he seemed fine.

18. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

aaaaaand I spoke too soon. He's sneezing a little right now. After having the cage open for cleaning it dropped down to about 77, and hasn't gotten all the way back up yet. So I'm thinking that temps below 80 are what's aggravating whatever he has.

19. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What type of substrate do you have him on?

20. DarkVice

DarkVice Active Member

paper towels. Easiest to clean up, and since everything is written in kanji over here, I'm always hesitant to buy stuff that I'm not exactly sure of what it is.