This Disappears When Logged In

Whats Your Go-to Substrate?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by diamondntheruf, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And what do you use it for? Just a simple thread to give people ideas on what most use.

I use liners for my beardie and my leo

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Paper towels or newspaper for bearded dragon,leopard gecko and blue tongue skink. Bed a beast for blue tail skink and emporer scorpions. Nothing for Red tail boa and Panther chameleons.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Aspen shavings for my snakes, bed-a-beast for my crested gecko, no substrate in my leo rack, reptile carpet in my leo enclosures and beardies, and paper towel for hatchlings of any variety. I think that covers everyone. lol

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Newspaper for Bearded dragons, leopard gecko and green iguana.
    Boas, pythons, corns, and kings, all on aspen.

5. Ive always been partial to liners. Never used paper towels or newspaper for anything buy lil ones. Is paper harmful to reptiles?? I know they can come to eat those too. But never heard any impaction stories with them. Just curious.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Nothing for my iguana, she just has the coroplast floor, and she poos in a water pan.

7. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

OK - dumb newbie question here... I see a lot of "liner" responses... are you saying shelf liner like contact paper? Sorry for my ignorance...

-kir

8. Merlin

No ignorance, just uncertainty!

Yes shelf liners.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I use a mixture of organic potting soil and Eco Earth for all my frog tanks.

10. reddz

reddz Member

My beardie, aft, and uro are all on crushed walnut shells (I think its called desert blend from rzilla). I like the heat emitting qualities. Despite the wrap walnut shells get, I don't have problems. My leo is on terrarium liners.

11. Merlin

You don't have problems yet,...but you will. That stuff is the worst thing you can put them on.

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I use indoor/outdoor carpet as a substrate and have a kitty litter tub of "bed a beast" for him to dig in. (I have a CWD by the way :))
    It's easy to use if you have 2 exact pieces for wherever you have it, that way when you need to clean the enclosure you just take 1 out and put the other in and then clean to used one so it's ready for the next time ;)

13. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

I use newspaper for my boa, but I will be switching to aspen shavings shortly.

14. babaloo

babaloo Member

My beardies are on it too. I've been using the zilla stuff for about a year and a half. Although I remember before it was "crushed" and now its "ground" I think. I was reading a discussion on some place about ground vs. crushed on the market. Not sure if that makes a difference but I don't have probs. Interesting, let me paste the post I found:
    ---------------
    "Sergeant Crayon says:
    You were talking about "CRUSHED" walnut shell, it can both impact AND cut. On the other hand, "GROUND" walnut shell is slightly better. (Zilla makes the ground stuff). It is actually smaller, rounder and therefore not AS sharp. I am not supporting the stuff, but it is slightly better. This relates to sand. Natural/Beach/Playground sand is worn down and is almost spherical, whereas man made sand (crushed gravel) is extraordinarily sharp and compares to the bane of my existence (Calcium carbonate substrate... *shiver*)."
    ----------------
    I think it depends on many other things as I have read. People say the same about sand and some haven't had problems. I don't know. I don't think everything is conclusive since there are exceptions to everything. Of course if you see danger, stop or change your substrate.

15. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

My "go to" substrate is always based up the natural environment of the reptile. I try to duplicate it as closely as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.