This Disappears When Logged In

Whats the Most Economical Ways to Provide UVB+UVA+Heat?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by johnchor, Apr 7, 2014.

1. johnchor

johnchor Member

hi folks

can you advice whats the most economical ways to provide UVB+UVA+Heat?

i read Osram HQL lamps 50w-125w does all in one function but i have no concrete proof...

the MVB are too high powered 100w-160w and too expensive for my small 120gallon tank.

how about those metal hailde 35w lamps? i also read they are all also in one function. but they are even more expensive than MVB.

the also need a special expensive ballast to work. actually i dont mind getting them if they are REALLY all in one and LONGER life span?

Right now , i am looking at a 25wHalogen + 13w UVB compact lamp.

btw i am keep semi-aquatic turtles, malayan box turtle and RES.

thanks

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I would recommend a mercury vapor bulb (powersun, mega ray, or arcadia) always be sure the lamp is a higher wattage then the bulb but be sure the lamp is made with a ceramic socket if using a dome lamp.....

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

In the smaller tanks it is hard to do but I think the best way is with a long tube fixture (you can buy it at a local hardware store for cheap and then buy the UVB bulbs at a petstore) with an outdoor halogen flood light for heat. The floods last forever-I have one in the box turtle tank that is 10+ years old and still working well.
    The UVB tubes though will need to be replaced yearly.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, the MVB bulbs would be quite efficient in a 600 ltr tank (what are the measurements in cm)? I`ve used them for a number of years (though not at the moment). Neither are they much more expensive than the better UVB tubes such as the Arcadia T5 HO (high output).
    Metal halides are the closest to natural sunlight, but don't necessarily produce much heat, especially in the lower wattages, and as you mention need an external ballast.
    Compact UVB bulbs can be quite inefficient.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Small? Did you mean to type 20 gallon?

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

I would suggest the Exo Terra metal halide. There is a 70 watt version that would likely give you enough heat for turtles. It really depends on how far away you are mounting the light of course, but I would think the 70 w version would be about right at 12-15" away from your basking area. They produce a wonderful spectrum, and unlike fluorescent tubes, produce a great deal of UVA as well. However, they do not cover as much area of exposure as a long tube. So if you have multiple turtles in each enclosure, you may do better with separate lights for heat and UV, or just multiple halide lamps.

7. johnchor

johnchor Member

Does the metal halide produce UVB? thats the most important question.
    i actually see some 35watts version not exo-terra. which looks very suitable for my tank. but i hesitate because i am not sure if they produce enough UVB say compare to a 13watt reptisun 10.0 compact?

if they do produce good uvb+uva+heat then i think is worth a look. they are much more expensive than MVB bulbs.
    and whats their live span? 1 or 2 years?

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

No i mean 120gallon 4 footer tank. it is consider small for turtles. lolx...