This Disappears When Logged In

What's a Safe, Easy to Clean Substrate That's Good for Burrowing

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by poomwah, Jan 21, 2014.

1. poomwah

poomwah Well-Known Member

My northern pine loves to burrow. Right now I've got him on aspen, and he loves to dig through it, but he likes to dig a lot around the edges and this pushed the aspen up into piles in the middle and leaves the floor bare around the edges. Then he tries to dig through the floor , lol. So, short of just adding more and more aspen, what other options would be good for him. I want him to be happy, but I also want him to be safe, and I want something easy to clean, any ideas?

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

A good burrowing substrate I like that I've seen used for beardies and monitors is zoo med I think makes is called excavator clay.... you can leave it dry and it is like a dirt sand. It if you moisten it you can mold it and make burrows in it and add branches to come out of it or rock and leave dry and it turns to stone almost...... I love the stuff and you can add dirt or sand or moss on top of it and they can still dig around.......