This Disappears When Logged In

What would be better for a CWD

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Dudeamis, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

A 4'x2'x8(ish)' enclosure or a 6'x2'x6' enclosure? basically is it worth to drop the 2' in width and add it to the height? Also is it natural for very young (10inch) CWDs to not like the water? My little girl doesn't seem to enjoy the water as much as my 16inch male, who seems to be training for the US Olympic Summer Games.

2. karamu8201

karamu8201 Elite Member

CWD's are arboreal, they like to climb. So, adding the 2 inches to the height will give them a little more climbing room. You can take your young WD and supervise her as you set her in a tub of water. Slowly place her in there starting with her tail and lower her down as she gets used to it. Do it a little bit a day until she starts to really get accustomed to the water. She'll be swimming around in no time.

3. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

yeah I thought a tall enclosure would be better. Hehe guess I look forward to Pezzie running up my arm somemore. Whenever I handle her she refuses to go back into her enclosure and decides my shoulders would make a better hang out.

4. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

My young female didn't used to like the water at all, so I just kept her cage a little more humid than normal to help her body compensate. Not to worry. She's over a year old now and is almost more fish than lizard anymore.

And yes, if you can give them more height, by all means do so. They'll love you for it, and it'll honestly feel like a bigger cage, you'll enjoy watching them even more in a taller cage.

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

As everone else has stated taller is better :D. Dont push your lil one to swim just yet...when hes thirsty or wanting to swim he will find his water bowl. You can also add a "swimming pool" to his enclosure and have a fliter in it, the flowing water will encourage swiiming and drinking. I remember my lil guy wasnt to fond of the water dish but soon as I added the pool and filter he was in it all the time. It also helped keep the humidity up

6. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

They have plenty of swimming and climbing space in thier current enclosure, I've just noticed that Jim spends a great deal more time in the water than Pez, who only seems to drop in durring sheds. The humidity a very high thanks to my large pool w/waterfall. Now that its heating up around here the water temp is staying rather consistantly warm (75-80) too. Which is nice because I was having to change the water 2-3 times a day. Now I only have to do it daily.

7. Ishmale

Ishmale Member

I think adding more height would be a good idea because CWD just love to climb and hang out in upper branches and shelves...

But on the swimming problem I couldn't help you because my little girl loves her pool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.