This Disappears When Logged In

what was your first herp

Discussion in 'General' started by furryscaly, Jul 20, 2005.

?

What was your first herp?

1. Lizard

96 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. Snake

75 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Turtle/Tortoise

51 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Crocodilian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Newt/Salamander

10 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Frog/Toad

30 vote(s)
    11.3%
  7. Other

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm sure there's been one of these before at some point, but what was your FIRST herp? Feel free to specify what species too :)

Mine was either a western plains garter snake, or a green tree skink. I got the two so close together in time, and I was so young, that I don't remember which came first, so I guess I'll choose "other". If you had a caecelian, amphisbaenian, or a kid as your first one, then I guess other would be for you too :p

2. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

Mine was my gartersnake :D then my firebelly

3. PCar

PCar Elite Member

Mine was a Snow Corn.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Mine was a ball python I received as a Christmas present in 00'. He is now 4 1/2 yrs old. :D

5. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Mine was a pair of crested geckos. It's been downhill from there :p

6. mookins

mookins Elite Member

Mine was a pair of red-eared sliders when i was 4 or 5

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Mine was an Eastern box turtle some 30 years ago. I found it and it lived in the backyard all summer, I returned it to the woods where he came from in the fall, the next spring I found another, I told myself it was the same one and that he wanted me to take care of him again. lol

8. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Mine was my sinaloan milk snake.And now I am addicted! ;)

9. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Well i picked "Lizard" but i guess that was a lie cuz i used to catch and keep turtles as a kid... my first one that i ever purchased to keep was a bearded dragon...

10. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Our first ever herp was Spectre, my daughter's corn snake, whom we got one year ago this month. He was definitely a wonderful alternative to the tarantula she originally wanted! :rolleyes: So much so, in fact, that now I have three more snakes.... :rolleyes:

11. lizardpoo

lizardpoo Elite Member

my first herp was a toad i captured out in my back yard, he oculd have only been 1-2, not quite sure on the species though. I had it about 2-3 days

12. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Well we had those dime store turtles when we were kids...that would have to be the first and then anoles after that....got into the real stuff only in 1994...Lyn

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mine would have either been one of Lyn's "dimestore turtles" or a box turtle from the back yard. I don't remember which.

It WAS a long time ago

14. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

My mom bought me a Red-eared Slider when I was about 5, when I was around 8 I used to go to the park and catch garters, frogs, tadpoles and salamanders. My first real herp pet was an Iguana many years ago and they're still my favorite.

15. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Ok, MY first herp was our Cal King snake, but Lyn has had Iguanas and a Tarantula for a long time now. As a kid though Id have to say a turtle.

Steve

16. Joe

Joe Elite Member

My first was a female western hognose :)

17. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Little green "dime store" turtle long before they were made illegal in NJ. It had a cute little Lagoon with a plastic Palm Tree in it! LOL

18. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

One of the first reptiles I kept as my own was a Garter snake. I caught him in my yard and my dad built me a nice enclosure for him. I kept him a week, brought him to school for "show and tell" one day, and then came home and my dad and I released him back where I had caught him.

I think I was 6-7 then. lol

19. Dawson

Dawson Active Member

My first herp was a big wood turtle I caught and kept in the window well of the basement of our house when I was like 8. My first snake was a grass snake, Natrix natrix, very cool little snakes that I used to catch all the time, boy did they have an attitude. My first lizard was a green lacerta. They too were pretty common around where I lived, and I used to catch them constantly. Another animal with an attitude. My first amphbibian I think was a natterjack toad, but its been so long I can barely remember what they actually looked like. The same area had tons of North American bull frogs and other various frogs. I moved from that to rescuing a green iguana. The first herp I actually bought was a ball python.

20. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I knew snakes would be right up there, but I'm surprised how well turtles are doing. I thought lizards would have them outdone for sure, but I've been proven wrong :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.