This Disappears When Logged In

What UVB Bulb?! Vision Cage (4' Long) Please Help.

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Hkg, May 25, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Okay so I took in a columbian tegu. He has a UVB bulb but I don't know how old it is or anything about it. I want to buy a new one. What bulb should I get? I'm new to all this. I've only owned a corn snake. So not much bulb needs with her. But don't worry I can care for him. I've researched reptiles for over 4 years. So what should I know? The cage is about 4' long and 2-3' wide. And the lights dip down, so they are probably 6" or so away from the ground. What kind of bulb should I get? A long one, a compact one, how many watts, etc.... I seen on lll reptile they had compact bulbs that were 13 watts I believe for under $10. I love that price!!!now keep in mind he won't spend all his time in the cage. As soon as he is more tame **** be coming out pretty much every day and when it's nice out side (I'll be with him don't worry) I'll post pictures of the cage and the current bulb. Oh and before I forget. Is there a way to tell when a UVB bulb needs to be replaced? Thank in advance

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

A cfl uvb bulb is junk. Get a tube uvb light.

He needs a varied diet, and higher degree temps (like upwards of 110 basking I believe) Look through the tegu forums on here and start reading. I recently responded to a question on everything tegu. Temperments, lighting, temps, feeding, etc. He will need a larger cage though. They get long. Don't let him outside without a lizard leash on. They are fast if they want to be.

A corn snake in no way prepares you for a tegu. Sorry but it's true. I had a 15 foot trouble burmese, a full grown bearded dragon who was mean among many other animals and I was still out of my element and it was hard.

Argentine and Columbians need the same care if that helps with your research.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

They also like to dig and need a lot of substrate to do so in. Kinda like a savanah monitor thick ... that cage may not be tall enough to put that much substrate in. Something to think about.

Check these sites out: the second one, Tegu Terra is one of the leading tegu dealers in the US. The food list, is very very thorough and a typical diet.

http://www.exoticreptiles.org/care-sheets/columbian-tegu-care-sheet/

http://m.teguterra.com/site/classic?url=http://www.teguterra.com/tegucaresheet.htm&back=http%3A%2F%2Fm.teguterra.com%2Fsite%2Fmobile%3Furl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.teguterra.com%2Ftegucaresheet.htm

Or just look on thier website. Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  4. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I'm well aware of the tempature needs. The UVB bulb isn't the only light he has. I put a 60 watt basking bulb. It keeps the basking spot about 100 degrees. I know a corn snake hasn't prepared me. I never said it did. I've helped out with a lot of big snakes and lizards. They weren't mine but I helped care for them. I just need to know what bulb to get. Sorry if I seem rude

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I was answering both posts technically. From this one and the other one before you got him. Saves time. :)

The compact fluorescent one your talking about for 10.00 is a cfl (compact fluorescent bulb aka cfl aka the one you spoke of at LLL) light. Those are no good. A tube uvb light is what I use. It puts out more uvb than a cfl bulb. Uvb bulbs don't last that long. Maybe someone can chime in as to how long they last. The uvb is a coating on the bulb, it wears down. I always changed mine every 6 months just to be safe. MBD is a horrible disease that I didn't want to deal with. Some people give supplements on top of that for it too.

Just read over the caresheets. They have all the info you asked about in your other post asking about tegus prior to you getting him.

In the end we all want the same for the animals.... what's best. For tegus, what I've noticed is less than great care, they get testy. If that makes sense. You mentioned getting him outside after taming him down. He could be like that for a number of reasons, insufficient amount of substrate (they seriously burrow a lot) not enough uvb light, not enough heat. In the end, it can help tame.

You'll find a lot of passionate people in the tegu world. Just the same as Savanah Monitors world. They are very passionate about it.

6. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Oh okay those posts make sense now!!! Sorry. Okay. I'll buy a new bulb and fixture. Yeah. The tegu community is pretty cool, I haven't really explored the savannah monitor. I was gonna rescue one a while ago but some one beat me to it. Thank you for your help!

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Good Luck. They are a lot of work. I only recommend one large lizard. Not only for space needs and weights of proper cages but for the Temperments and care.

8. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Yeah. This guy will be my only tegu for a while. Thank you for your
    image.jpg
    This is a pic of him. Sorry it's crappy. I'm letting him settle down