This Disappears When Logged In

What Types Of Skinks Like To Be Handled?

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by Pranav, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Pranav

Pranav Member

Hello Everybody,
    I am new to this forum, but I can't find any good information on anything other than Blue Tongued skinks. I know these are great, but where I live, they are hard to get, except online, where they are extremely expensive. I am open to other lizards as well, but they must like handling. I am interested in tegus, but they need a habitat way to big for me to provide. I was especially wondering about Red-sided skinks and blue tailed skinks. Do they like to be handled?
    Thanks,
    Pranav

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not really. Most smaller skinks are pretty much display animals.

3. Pranav

Pranav Member

Do you know which skinks or other lizards do like to be handled?

4. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

Leopard geckos might be a good alternative if you can't afford a blue tongue skink and want a lizard that likes or is at least tolerant of handling.

I don't know that leopard geckos *like* to be handled ,since mine seem to want to hide when I open their enclosures. But once I have them out, mine seem pretty tolerant of handling, and actually arch their heads and backs up when petted which seems to at least imply that they enjoy having those spots rubbed. They pull away when I try to pet their sides or tails so I figure they would do the same when I rub their heads/backs if they didn't like that.

They are also super adorable, available in a wide variety of colors/patterns and all but the most uncommon morphs/combinations are very affordable compared to blue tongue skinks.

Pranav likes this.
  5. Pranav

Pranav Member

I don't know why, but for some reason, I just can't bring myself to want a gecko. It might have to do with them being viewed as a pest in India, where I'm from, but I just can't like them no matter what. They look cute and all, I just can't. I don't wanna give an animal a bad life just because I'm not interested in one, so I don't think I'll get one. Thanks for the reply though.

6. Atroxus

Pranav likes this.
  7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, are Bearded dragons available in India, if yes they do tolerate handling quite well?

Pranav likes this.
  8. Atroxus

+1 on this. I dunno why I didn't think of it, since I have a beardy as well, and she is very tolerant of handling. :)

Pranav likes this.
  9. Pranav

Pranav Member

I'm not actually in India. However, thanks for the response. I will look into Bearded Dragons. I live in America, where they are readily available in pet stores and breeders.

10. Pranav

Pranav Member

Also, I just wanna take a second to appreciate how nice everybody on the forum is. You all reply fast, and you are so helpful, even to a noob like me.

Atroxus likes this.