This Disappears When Logged In

What Type of Lighting is Recommended?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by KDogg, Nov 12, 2014.

1. KDogg

KDogg Member

I've read that some people use flood lights as a heat source?

What light do you recommend for an green iguana?

Which make and model?

Why does it work for you?

Thanks guys!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For a heat source I have always used a thermostatically controlled CHE. It can be left on 24/7. The reptile night bulbs claim that reptiles can't see them but this is not accurate with iguanas.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

For basking spots I've always used halogen floods, they give a nice hot spot and while this isn't necessarily important to the herp I like the way the reptiles look under halogens vs. a regular old incandescent bulb. Experiment with different wattages and distances as you want correct basking temps and you don't want your iguana to be able to touch the bulb. I go with multiple flood type bulbs vs. a single spot bulb, you want him to be able to heat his entire body while basking. When you have a small "hot spot" and a large reptile they're forced to heat their entire body via one small spot, this can lead to burns as they'll stay under the bulb too long trying to optimize their body temp.

There's also MV bulbs, I think they're marketed as PowerSun or ActiveUV, from what I've read and heard they're a good alternative but I haven't used them so I'll leave that to people who have.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I too use multiple outdoor halogen flood bulbs to create basking areas for large lizards. Get a good quality brand, but wattage and distance from the basking site are something you have to figure out, because there are a lot of variables that effect what you will need.