This Disappears When Logged In

What to Put in a 55 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by redtailgal, Dec 2, 2011.

1. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

i love my leos so handleable and purple muffin love the dark axolotol im color blind but its really pretty or the orangy looking one (not fully color blind thats how i know its orange)

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hmm...Between the two, I vote corn snake!! It would make huge use of the big space! :)

3. redtailgal

redtailgal Elite Member

I have never kept a captive born snake and only ever kept one snake on a permanant basis. She was a kingsnake whom I named "Fudgecake" (for my baby sister). She had been hit by a car and could not constrict enough to kill her food. She was 6 feet and was a sweet lady once she felt better. I had her for 10 years before finding her dead in my closet. I didnt keep her in a tank, instead leaving her loose in my bedroom most of the time. She had a lot of trouble coiling up and really needed to be able to stretch out. So she had a hide in my closet and a heated basking spot in my window. I usually just fed her with tongs in the bathtub.

I have rehabed a few that were confiscated by animal control, or left at the vet's and then rehomed them. I have wintered over a few wild snakes that were injured and needed extra help thru the winter. But I have never had a healthy captive bred snake.

I did teach the adoptable snakes to eat pre-killed food (fed the releasable snakes live food under careful observation).

Of course, all the snakes I have dealt with were sick or injured and so they were rather snarky. I recently decided to quit rehabing snakes, for various reasons.

I expect that I am going to end up with a Cornsnake. I like the thought of having a healthy normal snake for a change. I would like to do the tank up nice and will have to do some research on how to make an attractively appropriate habitat.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I do think a beardie is still in my future. and, um, maybe a couple leopard geckos. In addition to this large tank being empty, I have a few 10 gallons and 2 20 gallons that will be emptying out soon too.

I hate seeing an empty tank. It's depressing!

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I can tell you from experience with our boa... there is nothing quite like having a snake that is healthy from the start that continues to thrive in your care. A really great experience :) as much great fun and rewarding feeling you get when you rescue, something is special about having an animal who has received proper care their whole life and never had to go through suffering! It's good to see what proper animal ownership should be!

5. Skinklover

Skinklover Active Member

i know this is about 8 months old but... you should get a skink :)

6. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

A baby Beardie!?! What about a blue tounge stink? Or Leo's? Or some lizard! Jeesh descions descions!