This Disappears When Logged In

What Species Is This.help

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Houser_cody, May 20, 2018.

1. Houser_cody

Houser_cody Member

A couple months ago I received this tortoise as a rescue, it was very small am little bigger than a quarter, it's grown a lot since then and now I really want to know if I'm feeding him the right diet. I asked my local pet stores and they weren't sure. My guess was a desert tortoise but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me what it is

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's a red footed tortoise from south America
    Pretty neat little guys.

3. Houser_cody

Houser_cody Member

That's what i was worried about, I've been given him the wrong diet. I couldn't see any red spots on his legs so I wasn't sure. The tortoise was picked up off of the streets as a hatchling in the Arizona desert, that is the part that confusing me. But it must've been a local breeder or something.

4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken, Merlin. Since this tortoise was picked up in Arizona, it's a desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii/morafki). In Arizona there are laws about keeping them. Here in California one must apply for a permit to keep a desert tortoise. At any rate, it most definitely is NOT a redfooted tortoise.

5. Merlin

It looks exactly like the Red foot that my daughter used to have.

6. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Member

They are a bit hard to tell apart at that age, but trust me, it's a desert tortoise:

Desert tortoise:
    deserttortoise_hatchling1.jpg

Redfoot tortoise:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaWEr7qEO6iWYjnOoIW2_gmsHrCTiVuWRRPOO9y0Lwsi5IVYXCyg.jpg

7. Merlin

I am no tort expert. Just know what I have seen so I will differ to your judgement.