This Disappears When Logged In

What Sort of Dragon Do I Have

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by NEWBIE88, May 12, 2014.

1. NEWBIE88

NEWBIE88 Member

Hi everyone i need ur help. I have a dragon and im a bit confused on what sort he really is. Do any of use have a clue? Im thinking bearded or water??

Attached Files:

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

3. zues2k

zues2k Well-Known Member

Same, bearded.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you get a better photo looking down from above with the lizard laying flat?

The central bearded dragon doesn't have a dorsal crest. However it may be an eastern bearded dragon.
    How did you acquire it?

5. mshrmheadcharge

Ah! The crest thew me off too. It does look like an Eastern BD. (thank you google image search)

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I also think it`s a Pogona barbata, I used to keep this subspecies (in Oz). Can you give some details of the conditions and a few more photos of the whole enclosure? Thanks!

7. NEWBIE88

NEWBIE88 Member

I got him from a neigbour who said he was from a pet shop and found out a few days ago he picked him up from a river bank in bathurst nsw

8. NEWBIE88

NEWBIE88 Member

9. NEWBIE88

NEWBIE88 Member

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, thanks for the photos. I`m not that familiar with the laws in New South Wales, but in Vic we wouldn`t be allowed to take them from the wild like that (or give/sell them on)?
    That aside, can you give details of the temps (ambient and surface), plus the humidity range and what type of thermometer/hygrometer you use to measure them?

11. mshrmheadcharge

You need to check your local laws. If i were you I'd return him to the wild. If you want a pet beardie, support your local reptile breeders and purchase one from them.

12. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

In principle, I agree, however there are some things to consider here.

1) how long has this lizard been in captivity? If its been a long time, it may not be able to re-adjust to life in the wild.

2) what is the proper time of year for a release? If released at the wrong time of year, the lizard may be unable to establish a territory and aquire necessary resources for survival.

3)is it possible this lizard may now be carrying any type of contaminants/bacteria from its time in captivity, that could spread and cause harm to existing wild populations. AND could it be carrying any regional bacteria or parasites from its original location that could be spread to the location you release it to.

I'm not saying re-releasing is the wrong thing to do, but these are very important things to consider before making a decision. In my opinion, if this particular lizard could pose any type of threat to the wild populations (as mentioned above) then it should not be released until it can be given a clean bill of health. Ultimately, protecting the health of the wild population is of vital importance.

13. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

I think you need to get rid of the lizard asap. I don't mean literally like do away with it and throw it out or something bad. I mean give it to a rescue if it has been in captivity for a long time. Don't release into the wild again though. Or give it to a very experienced reptile caretaker who would possibly be able to care for it right. You don't know what it is, therefore you don't know the heat requirments, care, cage size, or anything else. Not trying to be rude here, but don't take in animals if you don't know what they are, or anything about them.

14. NEWBIE88

NEWBIE88 Member

Look I didn't ask for a story just wanted a few opinions on wat he was Dont worry I'll obtain help from somewhere else

15. NEWBIE88

NEWBIE88 Member

And if u actually read wat I said My neighbour said he was from a pet shop and he was a bearded dragon and I've has him a while and only found out the other day he wasn't from a pet shop Seriously learn to read.

16. mshrmheadcharge

Just checked your local laws, it is in fact illegal for you to have this reptile. It is also illegal for your friend to remove them from the wild.
    If you don't contact a reptile rescue, or find out who is legally allowed to rehabilitate and release this lizard I will report you.

17. NEWBIE88

NEWBIE88 Member

How about u butt out of something thats not your business!

18. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This person is clearly young. This person lives in Australia and wasn't able to identify a native species, indicating that they are not very interested in their local fauna or herps in general. As she stated, the lizard was given to her. Releasing the animal is not an option and is as illegal as collecting species from the wild. If a person is adamant that they won't be turning a reptile or other animal over to a rescue, offering proper care assistance would be the way to go. Running a user off because they won't or don't agree with our "return to the wild" philosophy isn't aiding the animal at all. She was given no care info beyond our care sheet (which I'm not certain even pertains to this species exactly as it does for vitticeps.) :(

19. NEWBIE88

NEWBIE88 Member

Rich: I'm 25 yrs old and I've had a snake for the last 10 yrs so i no wat I'm doing. Like I have said twice before my neighbour (who had him for three months before me and poorly looked after) didnt want him any longer and was going to release and I did state u cant do that He told me he purchased him from a pet shop in Syd and that he was a beardie 12 months later in general conversation wen he was visiting he let it slip that he actually caught him from a local river and my question was looking for further info as there are water dragons and beardies in my area I did not come onto this site to be attacked or threatened I am registered with NSWPW and I didn't no anyone local that could help me out and that's wat I thought this show was for. I have found ONE person helpful and that is old mate from the UK (sorry i forgot your name) I have not disagreed about any comment of "return to the wild" and I am licensed to have him and he is registered!

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  20. NEWBIE88

NEWBIE88 Member

Three* months