This Disappears When Logged In

What Snake for a 4x2x2?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Dirkthejerk41, Apr 8, 2013.

1. justor

justor Elite Member

If you get a baby you must be extremely careful. Their bites may not be able to do anything to you, but young chondros are very fragile and a strike could lead to permanent spinal damage if you jerk your hand away when bitten. Just a heads up. And yea you would probably want to start it off in a smaller enclosure.

When you have a GTP you are going to have to handle it from time to time just like any other captive reptile. It's just that it shouldn't be done just for the sake of handling it, but rather for enclosure maintenance or whatever.

2. Dirkthejerk41

Dirkthejerk41 Elite Member

It will not be my first snake

3. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

PeanutsMarmiteSydney Elite Member

How much experience do you have with this kind of snake (GTP)? They have quite different requirements than many other pythons and can sometimes be a handful to care for if you don't expect it.

4. Dirkthejerk41

No experience, but how would I get experience other than owning one?

5. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

It's just quite a large jump (for some) from owning things like ball pythons to a GTP. Depending on the individual snake they can sometimes be quite snappy and they have very different requirements. They're not a kind of 'pet' species. You can keep them and occasionally handle some, but they are not a 'handle every day' sort of snake in a lot of cases. If you did want to handle it you'd have to read up on handling techniques for nervous snakes. They are not (like some would assume) aggressive by nature but they are a lot more nervous than other species and you'd want to hand train appropriately otherwise you'd end up with a nervous/aggressive reaction.
    I'm not saying don't get one - Just be aware that they're very different and can be a challenge even for people that have owned snakes before. On the other hand, there are many people with GTPs that are calm and content with a little handling and are easy feeders.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

Working with a gtp is the only way to get experience with them. Having a friend or mentor who already keeps them can help you get the hang of working with them, but for most people this is not really an option. My recommendation for people who want to get into chondros is to start out with their cousins the carpet pythons. Though the husbandry is not exactly the same it is pretty similar, and they behave in much the same way except they are easier to work with.

7. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

That's very good advice, plus carpet pythons are brilliant in their own right too!

8. Dirkthejerk41

I think ill go with a red tail or a carpet..