This Disappears When Logged In

What Snake for a 4x2x2?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Dirkthejerk41, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Dirkthejerk41

Dirkthejerk41 Elite Member

Okay, now I am getting a 4x2x2 multi level enclosure. My columbian Tegu will be in the top, and the bottom will be empty. That being said, what snake (preferably larger than a ball python) could live in this size for its entire life? Also, would this be suitable for a green tree python?

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Hey, this is kinda a wierd question, since any of us with experience get enclosures to fit our snakes, not snakes to fit our enclosures. I would suggest against a GTP. They require a certain level of experience, and are not snakes that even experienced owners can neccessarily handle often and just "hang out with" like a "pet." I would refer you towards an Irian Jaya Carptet python. Although ideally your enclosure would be a foot higher, this snake will get five foot, they are active, will perch like a GTP, and settle down to make great handle-able pets. There are a few morphs available if you are into that sort of thing. If you want something bigger, i think you need a bigger enclosure.

3. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

How about a BRB I'll be making a 4x2x2 for mine

4. Dirkthejerk41

please not that I didn't even mention "hanging out with" whatever I plan to get like a "pet". Also, I'm just looking for some ideas, so you don't need to be rude. That being said, I have looked into the Carpet Pythons a bit.

5. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

I recommend Brazilian rainbow boas, MAYBE an indigo snake, which is a massive colubrid. I also recommend most boas.

6. Dirkthejerk41

Could a red tail live in a 4x2x2 its whole life? I really like the albino red tails.

7. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

They CAN, but bigger is probably better

8. Dirkthejerk41

Hmm, what I seem to be seeing after researching it a bit is that most recommend Rainbow boas and carpet pythons..

9. justor

justor Elite Member

Carpet pythons are my favorite snakes so they get my vote hands down. Very few carpets will outgrow an enclosure that size, though as mentioned already they would appreciate a bit more height, but it's not a deal breaker.

10. Dirkthejerk41

how are they, temperament wise?

11. justor

justor Elite Member

Generally, hatchlings can be nippy but most become very calm as they mature.

12. Dirkthejerk41

Cool, cool. might look into them! thanks for the idea.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I keep my BRB in a 4x2x2. It seems the perfect size for her.

14. Dirkthejerk41

how do you like them?

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My BRB has been a pretty awesome snake. Her temperament has been great, with only the occasional hissy fit (in 6 years I have had her, she has bit me once, and missed me once). Mine is very mellow, and was mellow as a baby as well, though some start out nippy. They are probably the most colorful snake money can buy. For her size, I'm pretty sure she is stronger than any of my other snakes. Mine has an awesome track record for eating, and many BRB I have seen are very easy eaters.

16. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I was not trying to be rude at all. I was merely recomending a carpet python, and suggesting that a GTP is not really a snake to get if you are concerned with temperament and handling. With that being said lol i have never met a person with a carptet that was not fascinated by it. They pretty much cover all the bases. They are great display snakes, active and smart, generally aggressive feeders, and they make great pets once they settle down if handled consistently. The Irian Jaya is the smallest of carpets and is considered the "least nippy" the jungles are the mid sized, and coastals are the large carpets. (Too large for a 4x2x2). There are different morphs for all, but the normals are stunning lookers in their own right and generally very fairly priced.

17. Dirkthejerk41

hmmmm I'm thinking rainbow boa or colombian red tail.. maybe a carpet. I'm just fascinated by the green tree pythons, handling wouldn't be a necessity though it would be neat.

18. Turner

Turner Elite Member

I understand your fascination with the green tree python. I too have been wanting one since I saw some pictures on here, I'm pretty sure it was Joey G's. I however know I cannot have one right now though. I have a 3-4 month old corn snake I'm getting "un-afraid" of still a little. I'm better, don't get me wrong, but she doesn't leave my hands ever. If she moves past that I get nervous and freak out.

19. Dirkthejerk41

yeah I get you. I'm not worried about getting bitten. I mean, I'm sure I would be at first, but if I were to get one I would get one as a baby. Also, I'm thinking if that's what I go with that I will need to divide my enclosure in half maybe?

20. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Please DO NOT get a Brazilian rainbow if this is your first snake. They require high humidity, which CAN be a bit of a pain to keep up IF you don't know what you're doing.

I would recommend the carpet python, I have an irian jaya and she's just lovely, both to look at and to handle.