This Disappears When Logged In

What Should I Put In?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by oakensiren, Aug 25, 2018.

1. oakensiren

oakensiren Well-Known Member

I was planning on getting a croc skink but can't find any cb in my area and since it would be my first reptile i don't want to chance with a wc. What can i put in this enclosure?
    20180825_201459.jpg 20180825_201453.jpg 20180825_201431.jpg 20180825_195856.jpg
    It is a 55 gall (100cm x 40cm x 50cm) after monitoring things for half a year it stays between low 50s in winter and high 80s in summer (no heat lamps) and humidity changes from 40-50 dry season to 70-80 rainy season.
    The substrate is a mix of coconut fiber, black earth, some fine wood matter i don't remember the name and some medium reptile wood chips (not pine or cedar).
    I only have a devil ivy and as clean up crew i have a mix of bugs that appeared after a while and earth worms.
    What can i put in it?
    I would prefer lizards but can also keep snakes.
    I can would buy it around february-march so i have time to do my research.

2. oakensiren

Also have spaghnum moss and leaf litter

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well, I can tell you that unless you can stabilize temps and humidity year round, it's going to be hard to recommend anything for in there. I can also tell you that those little dial gauges are notorious for being inaccurate, sometimes more that 15% off. I usually recommend one of the digital units made by accurite, they can usually be had at any Wal-Mart, and many other places as well. They are cheap and pretty accurate, with them only downside being that they the humidity part tends to die after a few months when used in extreme high humidity environments, usually above constant 75%.

4. oakensiren

20180826_111710.jpg is this one ok to check temp? has a little probe i can stick anywhere in the tank, right now it is at ground level
    I dont really know much about heating so i tought i should have a species in mind and make sure to buy an addecuate heat source.
    What lamp would you recommend?
    I will look for the digital hygrometer.
    Thanks

5. Darkbird

Yes, that thermometer should be fine. The problem with the dial ones is that the manufacturing tolerances are so low on them that it inevitably affects accuracy. It's harder to screw up the digital ones.
    As for what animal, what I usually advise people to do is to pick a species and then build/set up the caging to suit that species. If you already have it set up for croc skinks, stick with that and see about possibly finding a breeder who will ship. Or talk to dealers at a local show, they sometimes have contacts that can get them special orders. If I remember right, never having kept them, those require a cooler and fairly wet environment don't they? Not sure what else might work in that setup.

6. oakensiren

Ok, will look for cb croc skinks, any advice on how to lower the temp?
    Since low 80s is too high and the high summer temp is between high 80s and low 90s

7. Darkbird

Wish I could help you there. Best thing I can think of is to keep the cage in a small room and use an air conditioner in the warm months. A small room would be cheaper to keep at a stable temp. Or maybe find a cooler area in the house, like a basement room if available. Or depending on how handy you are, it might be possible to rig up something using an aquarium chiller and a homemade cooling coil, but that could be expensive and I have no clue if it would work.

8. oakensiren

My main problem is i don't have air conditioner where i live, i read long ago that you can leave ice over the top of the enclosure to lower temp and raise humidity but i dont think/know if its a good solution.

9. Darkbird

That might work, all I can say is try it and see how it goes before you get the lizard. You might have to go with a different species, which would likely require a different setup.

10. oakensiren

Going to try it.
    What other species do you think would be able to live in a tropical setup?
    I can/should be able to raise temp. with a heat lamp (wich one would you recommend) and raise/lower humidity with glass/screen top.
    I can remove the ivy or get a smaller water dish (the current one is around 1' diameter and 1.5" deep).
    I don't think the bioactive substrate should be a problem.
    Forgot to add in the original post i have a 2/3" drainage layer.
    Thanks

11. Darkbird

Tons of options depending on what you might like. A colony of anoles, or some species of gecko, your only big limiting factor is the narrowness of the cage. I don't like to keep any lizards in a cage where the minimum dimension is shorter that the lizard, so I would look at smaller species. Maybe even frogs or something, might be able to turn it into a dart frog setup pretty easily, not sure though since I've never kept any.