This Disappears When Logged In

What Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Newt, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Newt

Newt Member

i'm looking for an amphibian. it needs to be easy to care for, and be housed safely in a 10 gallon aquarium with a western painted turtle:

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I don't think housing the two would be very wise, as mixed species habitats are not recommended.

3. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

The turtle will probably end up eating your amphibian.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Also unless your turtle is only an inch long it needs a much larger tank. Another side note. Nothing can be housed with a water turtle except their dinner. They are eating machines and if it fits in their mouth they will eat it. If it doesnt fit in their mouth they will take large chunks out of it until it does fit.

5. Newt

Newt Member

OK how about in a tank with fish??

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

An amphibian that can be housed with fish? Axolotl would probably work. There are dwarf African frogs you can get. Both of these are completely aquatic.

7. justor

justor Elite Member

I don't know too much about specific amphibians, but I can offer you some general guidlines that may be helpful...

First of all a ten gallon is REALLY limiting what you can do, as it is too small for virtually anything as an adult. Most common pet frogs are of the arboreal veriety, meaning they live in trees and require enclosures with a decent amount of height (which a ten gallon does not have). They also are not the best swimmers so they should not be kept in an enclosure with a lot of water, usually just a good sized water dish maybe an inch deep is good. The more terrestrial frogs are going to need much more floor space than a ten gallon tank could possibly offer. You could maybe keep one or two african dwarf frogs in a tank with some peaceful fish. They are very small and are fully aquatic.

Most salamanders and newts go through multiple life stages in which they alternate between being fully aquatic, mostly terrestrial, and fully terrestrial depending on the species. An adult tiger salamander for example, will drown in a fish tank setup. There may be some salamanders or newts that can be kept in an aquatic setup their whole lives, but there will still need to be a land area, and the water shouldn't be very deep. This means you're going to have very little space for fish (which could be eaten by the way).

Why must you have something else in with it? If the animal you want isn't interesting enough on its own, why even get it?
    You will always be better off keeping a reptile/amphibian on its own. Adding additional critters, especially of a different species, adds stressors and will only have negative effects on the inhabitants of the enclosure.

8. justor

justor Elite Member

axolotls are really cool. I'm not sure how they would do with fish in their tank, but regardless, they need much more space than a ten gallon tank.

9. Newt

Newt Member

well, thats the problem, my fish live in a 5 gallon tank!!
    HElP ME!!!

10. justor

justor Elite Member

Lol, I'm not really sure how to help you... Your fish are probably fine in a 5 gallon tank, assuming they are small peaceful fish and there aren't too many of them.

If you want any other critters, you will need another enclosure. The larger the enclosure the more options you will have. I suggest you do some actual research and find out what kind of amphibian you want, and then setup a tank that will meet that animals needs. And don't put any other critters in with it.

Oh, and btw you don't need to make your font huge, lol. We can see it.

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

How about when the turtle moves out you use it to house something else :)
    Remeber painted turtles get huge, females 12" and males 7" so you will have to move the turtle into a 75+ gallon tank soon! The sooner you upgrade the turtle the happier he will be. The common rule for turtles is 10 gallons of water per inch of turtle and a filter graded for 2x the tank size.
    Anything you put in with your turtle can become a snack.

12. Newt

Newt Member

i know, i know im just trying to ad emphasis lol!

13. Newt

Newt Member

sorry i just clicked post accidentaly.