This Disappears When Logged In

What Should I Get

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ninja6259, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ninja6259

ninja6259 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone since my water dragon died which is very sad. I now have a 55 gallon tank i would like some ideas of what to get at the hamburg reptile expo on saturday. I honestly dont really want any kind of geckos im not sure why i might want one but i would like other ideas and options so please give me ideas of what to get thank you for you help.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Maybe you should try to find out what went wrong, maybe it was the enclosure, or an illness! Personally I would play it safe and find out what happened prior to purchasing another reptile only to lose it due to something that could have been avoided!
    Sorry:(
    It's just weird that you would lose two reptiles at once!

3. ninja6259

i might have been the heat my family member forgot to turn on the air conditioner for a few days and it was about 106 degrees out so my room was over 100 degrees and the heat from the heat lamps on also may have made it to hot and killed them its sad that it happened but i think that is why they died

so i know it was not the enclosure but the high heat we had and the heat lamp also on made it to hot for them and im sure nothing can live in heat like that.

4. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

There a few species of snakes you get.

5. ninja6259

well if anyone can give me ideas of something to get i would really appreciate it.

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

What do you like, and how much time and money do you have?

7. ninja6259

well i should have about 150 dollars and while i will be going to school in the fall so i wont be home my family will care for what i get while i pay for what ever it needs and i like reptiles i can handle

8. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Maybe you could wait until you are coming back home? I'm just thinking you wouldn't get to handle them anyway, and it wouldn't be fair to dump the responsibility on your parents(Plus, I would be terrified of leaving any animal in the care of other people after what happened on your vacation!)

9. ninja6259

well my parents do handle my reptiles i understand what you mean but you have to also understand that they are not the kind of people to just leave my reptile alone and not handle them and all i am asking is ideas of what to get not for everyone to tell me not to get anything so if you can answer the question i asked and not tell me that i should not get anything i would very much appreciate it and im sorry if i come of rude but i did not ask about if i should get something i asked what i should get im getting something no matter what

10. purplemuffin

If you are determined to get something, I suggest something that is a hardy reptile. Something like a corn snake(hardy, friendly, handleable, cheap)

You could probably get a bearded dragon, but 55 gallon tanks don't offer much floor space. That's why i don't like them for lizards, they are more for snakes or more arboreal things I think!

You should also consider getting a thermostat set up to your heat lights so that they will turn off when the enclosure gets too hot! The heat sounds like what killed them.

11. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Id say a ball or a corn, easy to care for and cheap to feed, definately handleable. I agree with what the purple muffin says about lizards and aquariums, its usually better to build a custom enclosure for most species to allow adequate room and temp gradient. A corn or a ball could live its whole life in a 55.
    youll be able to buy a normal ball or corn with money to spare for food and whatever else.

12. purplemuffin

In that size tank you might like a corn better, they use up the space better as they are more active snakes. Maru was in a 55 for a while, but he didn't really utilize the space, and honestly being wild caught he was a very high stress animal and just didn't like all the space even with the extra hides. Not all animals are the same though, some balls might enjoy the 55 gallon, and some corns are probably lazier. But that's why I suggest a corn.. Fun to look at and hold. You can buy any morph for pretty cheap, and use the extra money to get a thermostat or something to keep them safe and healthy!

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Whether you like it or not, people are making a very good point. You just had animals DIE because a "family member" may have commited an error. And now you are talking about getting "something no matter what". You don't care what it is, just something! And then you are planning on dumping all the responsiblity for the care of that "something" on someone else.
    That in and of itself is quite irresponsible.

Just out of curiosity, have you actually talked this over with your parents? Just assuming that they are willing to do all the work involved in caring for whatever animal you choose to drag home may result in a very unpleasant surprise!
    I know for myself, even though I love reptiles, if one of my children had went out and bought something and then presented it to me with a " Here, take this and take care of it. I'm leaving!"
    I would not be impressed.

14. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Didn't you just get a turtle? You recovered from the loss of your water dragon and beardie in record time. I hope they didn't suffer, although I am sure from the neglect alone, they must have.

15. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Since it seems like several people will be involved in handling and caring for the new addition, maybe you should discuss your options with them!

Options:

cornsnake: there are dozens of beautiful color morphs to choose from
    bearded dragon: but you would need to build a bigger enclosure for it eventually.

Also make sure your new set up has a good-quality thermostat with probe to regulate the temperature (it turns off the heat if the temps get too high!!)

16. ninja6259

ok thank you for the thermostat set up i have been looking into them and thanks for the ideas.

17. justor

justor Elite Member

You can't really blame people for pointing out that getting a pet a couple weeks before you leave for school is a potentially bad situation for the animal. All i'm saying is that it's kinda irresponsible to get a pet that you won't be there to care for. Sure, your parents probably won't have any trouble as long as the animal is healthy, but what are they going to do if it stops eating or is acting sick? Do they know how to take care of a reptile when something goes wrong?

18. ninja6259

Merlin dont call me irresponsible you dont know me... my family also love animals just as must as me that is why they do not mind me getting reptiles. The family member who was watching my reptiles over vacation did not handle my reptiles my parents do! I AM PAYING FOR ALMOST EVERYTHING FOR MY REPTILES I WILL BE HOME NOT EVERY DAY BUT WEEKENDS AND OTHER TIMES ALSO SO I WILL ALWAYS HAVE A CHANCE TO CARE FOR MY REPTILES. And I came to this site to talk about HERPS not be called irresponsible or be told not to buy a new reptiles that is not why i came here. I though you all would just answer my question and leave the criticism out of it.

19. ninja6259

And thank you to the people who are answering my question.

20. justor

justor Elite Member

You are right. None of us know you or your family personally. But that doesn't mean that nobody's gonna call out a red flag when they see one. The reason you are catching criticism is because people here care about herps and are not going to recommend a pet when it is apparant that your situation is not stable enough to give it the best possible life. it's about the reptile, not anything personal. You are free to do what you will, but I personally feel better mentioning that your situation is not ideal.