This Disappears When Logged In

What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by ralderfer001, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ralderfer001

ralderfer001 Active Member

So i tried scheduling a vet visit for my FWC today but they wouldnt let me because he's venomous. I tried tellin him that he's only rear-fanged not dangerous, i tried just telling him that id pay for the exam and the meds and i'd give him the shots myself but i guess its against their policy. he tried refering me to the UC Davis cuz they have the equipment to "deal" with him, but that is waaaaaay far away and probably more then i could afford. Should i try calling back as another alias and just say he's a rat snake or something?

2. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

I would honestly not go the lying route. In my opinion, they should be able to tell straight off as soon as they saw the snake that he wasn't a rat snake if they deal with snakes often enough. Even the mildly venomous guys can be dangerous, especially if someone has an allergic reaction to the venom, which can happen, like how people are allergic to bee stings. Another thing to consider is that the meds they prescribe for a rat snake (assuming he needs meds) might be different/in different strengths from those needed for a FWC, you could be putting your snake's life on the line (unintentionally). Also, wouldn't they realize you lied about your name when you went to pay (assuming you didn't go the cash-route). All in all, a bad idea. I would call around to see if there's anywhere else local that will see him, maybe try giving UC Davis a call and asking if they know anywhere closer that is willing to see mildly venomous snakes, or ask your local zoo (if you have one) what vet they use/if you could "borrow" their vet? Just some ideas. Good luck!

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I have to agree, too many bad possible consequences. You may just have to accept the longer drive as part of being into hots, even mild hots. Vets aren't required to see every type of animal, or even qualified to.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its not a matter of policy, its a matter of law. It is illegal for a vet to prescribe medication when they have not seen the patient.
    But you won't know unless you contact them. This is one of the drawbacks to keeping exotic animals, Sometimes the only available vets are down the road a ways. That is just one of the responsabilities we assume when we keep exotics.

EXTREMELY BAD IDEA! Not only will you be committing fraud, should there be an accident and someone injured, you will most likely be arrested as well as having a civil lawsuit brought against you.

5. ralderfer001

You guys are right as usual lol. I guess i didnt even consider that this guy might need a specialized vet when it hits the fan. Its just a little frustrating cuz i wasnt even asking the vet to hold him or anything, just asking to bring him in as a formality so he could prescribe the antibiotics i need. I learned quite a bit of lessons in all this, properly quaranting my animals and to never buy animals on craigslist, that $20 corn snake is costing me hundreds lol. Well on a plus note the corn snake is feeling oodles better, havent made so much as a whistle since he's been on the meds, now the arduos journey to UC Davis for my FWC.

6. ralderfer001

Well i called the UC Davis and it turns out its only going to be $30 more then the exam here, I was assuming univerity vet + venomous snake = expensive but i was wrong again. So i set up an appointment for next monday at 2:00, such a relief. Not looking forward to the 5hr drive time but hey it'll make some quality bonding time for me and Koby

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  7. Darkbird

Well, glad to hear the vet visit itself won't be too bad. The drive sux though, is that one way?

8. ralderfer001

Yep, but its near sacramento which i've never been before so itll give me a chance to check it out. And its been forever since i've been on a roadtrip so itll be kinda cool

9. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Glad to hear it won't cost you a complete arm and a leg to get him looked at and that you were able to make the appointment! Just be careful leaving him in a parked car temp-wise and creepy people-wise, if you decide to park somewhere and wander around Sacramento. Just because it's a city.

10. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

What is a FWC?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it a false water cobra?

11. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

False water cobra.

That's a heck of a ride for sure. I'm going to need to find a herp vet nearby, hope it isn't that much of a hike for me. I won't be keeping any hots though, so I may have more choices.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I was going to say, it has been my general experience with vet schools that they tend to be cheaper than general veterinarians - they are, after all, teaching schools. Both the school we used to do the vetting at the zoo I worked at, and the school who did the necropsy for my dead JCP were very affordable.

I have the very same hangup about ever getting the Mangrove snake I really want. I won't get this snake until I have a local vet who will deal with Hots - which so far has not been the case.

13. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

With me the hot barrier is the wife & kids. I know I could keep it locked and not have an issue, but my wife is 100% not OK with hots in the house (or crocs, or anything "dangerous") and I'm not that desperate to keep one that I'd really want to push it. She's not a herp person at all, so I'm satisfied with her signing off on big constrictors, monitors, tegus etc.

14. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Thats what I got going on with my Girl too, she feel in love with our Sav after 4 months or so when he didn't run away everytime he saw us lol. Now she has breakfast with him, she will occasionally share an egg with him

15. ralderfer001

Yep, that was something i never even thought about, him needing a specialized vet, i dont. even consider him hot cuz he tagged me quite a few times with no ill effects, but if someone is allergic that can spell trouble

16. ralderfer001

A little update. So I took Koby to the vet today, and Koby made me out to be a liar. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him and said if the infection is minor that the snake would fight it off himself if his enviroment is in the right specs. He did write me a prescription for trimethoprim and flaygl if it flares up again, but the vet doesnt think it will. So good news he's fine, bad news I drove all that way for nothing and i'm a hypochondriac lol

17. Darkbird

No you didn't, you did it for your own peace of mind and in the interest of your snakes health. And those are both reason enough to me.

Karma Momma likes this.