This Disappears When Logged In

What Pets Can You Leave For A Week Vacation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fade, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Fade

Fade Member

First off, I won't neglect an animal for my benefit, I am just wondering what pets can I leave for 7 days.

I know you can leave tarantulas alone for a week, I have 1 currently.
    I assume scorpions are the same, but don't have experience with them.
    I know most fish you can leave for a week.
    But what else is there?
    One guess is maybe snakes as the common beginner snakes eat weekly and I believe snakes don't need water as much as other animals, but I have no experience with them, so I could be wrong.
    Are there any other pets, obviously mammals or small pets are out.
    What about some other reptiles, millipedes, amphibians, madagascar hissing cockroaches, etc.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

You may ask why, well I don't have friends and I don't trust anyone(family,etc) I know with pets.

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Do you have other pets that you're wondering if they can be left alone or are you asking in general what pets could be left alone for a week in case you get them?

In general most animals will be fine. Give them a good meal before you leave and make sure they have plenty of clean water.
    For a leopard gecko, for instance, which would eat a few times a week, one slightly bigger than normal meal before and after you return would be fine. In the wild they don't eat on a set schedule.
    For something like a corn snake which may only eat once a week, you might not even have to do anything differently. If the animal is prone to defecating in its water dish perhaps add two for the week you're away in case something is soiled. It is useful to invest in a timer for any heating and lighting equipment.

3. Fade

Fade Member

I am asking in general what pets can be left alone for a week vacation. I currently only have 1 tarantula.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much any reptile can go a week on it's own easy, even if it's not ideal. So long as they are well fed and doing fine you should have no issues. Just make sure lights are on timers, and heat sources are controlled by quality thermostats. My collection gets left on it's own at least 8 or 9 days in a row once or twice a year, as I had more problems with the people trying to help care for them than I do just leaving them on their own.

5. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

I would expect the same as suggested above. My ribbed newt wouldn't notice for a minute if I left for a week. The lights are on a timer and he could stand to slim down. My cockroaches would be fine too if I put in a larger water dish that wouldn't dry out.

6. Fade

Fade Member

Do you mind telling me what exactly is in your collection?
    I mean would leopard geckos be okay, crested geckos, poison dart frogs, fire bellied toads, madagascar hissing cockroaches, bearded dragons, etc? I would obviously have lights on timers, heating on thermostats, and automatic misting if species needs it like poison dart frogs. I don't want to neglect them.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well let's see, about 40 ball pythons, 6 green tree pythons, 7 leos, a beardie, 10+ assorted turtles, a couple tortoises, a savannah and Nile monitors, 1 California king snake, 3 boas, and several colonies of assorted roaches. Oh, and a scorpion, lol. Nothing in your list should be any problem as long as the setup is such that it requires minimal daily maintenance in the first place, which is the way I always set up my caging, as much because I'm lazy as anything, lol.