This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind Of Tortoise Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Someguyver, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

I'm currently researching some tortoise species to buy and looking for tortoises that can tolerate these conditions. Also, something that is medium - small. I currently have some knowledge on these tortoises (Sulcata, Russian, Red Foot, Leopards, and Hermans)

I live in the suburbs of Minnesota where weather is bipolar (weather here can be hot and sunny or hot and cloudy, windy and cold, or windy and hot. Last winter, there was barely any snow up here, it all melted after 2-3 days because the temperature was still too warm)

My backyard isn't too big but it's not small. My mom has a garden set up on the perimeter of the backyard, and my room is dry. I also have the 2nd largest room in my house (I live in a rambler). I have a dog, it's not big (chiuaua mix with dachsund). It rarely ever bites or barks and is rather hyper.

The basement is rather large but it's dirty. Temperatures are cool (around low 60's).
    It's also got some moisture but not so much that water covers the pipes.

The kind of tortoise I'm favoring for is a Hermanns. They don't need a lot of moisture, they're small, and can be kept indoors. But my peeve is that they have an instinct to burrow, a lot (from what I've read).

What are your other suggestions?

QUESTIONS: Is it bad for a tortoise to eat its own poop?
    How do you heat up the hiding area? Can the basking bulb heat the hide area?
    Do you mix sand and dirt and then put substrate on top?
    When do you clean your substrate?
    How exactly do you build a tortoise table? Can you post some sites to diy bookshelf tortoise tables?

2. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

Another question, I only have a 5.0 uvb bulb. Can I use calcium dusting and cuttlebone to substitute for the reduced uvb emitted from the bulb?

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Box stores usually carry low-end bookshelves. Just put it on it's back and attach legs. Or set it on an appropriate size table.
    If you want to build one yourself, just think of the same concept.
    A bottom with four sides attached.
    Now the cheap bookshelves would not be waterproof and I'm not sure how moisture resistant you would need for a tortoise (never owned one)

Someguyver likes this.
  4. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

Maybe a foam spray would work for the bookshelf moisture?

5. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

You can use shower liner to line the inside.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You misunderstand. The UVB does not supply calcium. It allows the animal to metabolize the calcium in it's diet.

7. Someguyver

Someguyver Member

Ah. I always used to thought they absorbed it to make vitamin d3... Guess it's time for more research

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Vitamin D3 is separate from calcium. With UVb light they produce their own Vitamin D3. But that's from the actual sun that they can produce enough. That's why people supplement with Vitamin D3 powder, not relying on bulbs to provide enough UVb.

9. Russian tortoise all the way Hermmans are a bit bigger than a Russian and I feel Russian torts are def the smallest tort that's legal to own