This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind of Tadpole?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by TurtleNerd, Jul 17, 2013.

1. TurtleNerd

TurtleNerd Member

My sister and I found a plethora of tadpoles in a nearby puddle. Bored out of our minds and armed with a small container and net, we collected five of the biggest and set them up in a spare ten gallon tank. I live in Georgia so if anyone knows common breeds of frogs/toads in Georgia that would be a huge help.

The biggest tadpole is about an inch long. We have the tank set up with multiple hides, a deep end (4 inches of water) and a shallow end (1.5 inches of water). There is space outside of the water for when they grow legs. We have a heat lamp sitting above the tank in the middle and have accent gems for the substrate. Is this an adequate setup?

Also, we have plenty of algae wafers, lettuce, and fish flakes. I hear that tadpoles like to eat all of those. When they grow older I can give them baby mealworms from the colony I breed for my other reptiles. If there are any better foods you would suggest, please speak up.

I'll get pictures up as soon as possible, but I can't seem to find anything to take pictures with at the moment. I'll just do my best to describe them to you....

Well, they're about an inch in length and aren't very colorful. They're mostly grey but have darker spots on their tails. Or is that algae? They're really cute and chubby looking with white/light grey tummies. I can't find anything on the internet like them. I must be looking in the wrong places. I'm sure I haven't stumbled upon the rarest breed of frog ever. I thought that finding out what they are would be easier....

Help?

PS. I have photos of the enclosure on my sister's web cam. I'll upload them now.

Snapshot_20130718.JPG

Snapshot_20130718_2.JPG

(Click to enlarge)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

First off, you have an issue. You can't just fill up a tank of water and put them in it. Did you dechlorinate the water?
    In a fresh tank there is a lack of the bacteria which metabolizes the harmful waste products produced by the tads as well as the leftovers of their food. In a few days ammonia is going to build up to levels which will burn the tads gills.
    Your best bet is to put them back where you got them.

4. TurtleNerd

TurtleNerd Member

I did use water conditioner to de chlorinate the water before putting them in the tank. No worries about that, I know how sensitive a tadpole's skin is.

I also knew that ammonia build up can be harmful but with frequent water changes it won't be a problem. If I do release them I'm not putting him back in the puddle. I'd rather release them in one of the ponds in my neighborhood. I know that they'll be happy there because there are plenty of yummy buggies for them to eat there, rather than the dingy small puddle we found them in.

Thanks for the link Nancy! Will check it out^^

5. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

6. TurtleNerd

TurtleNerd Member

That's one of the websites I've looked at. From what I can tell, they resemble the Hyla chrysoscelis grey treefrogs, but I can't really tell.... I can say with some certainty that they aren't toads and I think they're treefrogs though I can't say which one.... I'll keep looking:>

How to care for tadpoles - YouTube

I just watched this video on how to care for tadpoles and the information seems unsettling to me. No water changes? Doesn't make any sense to me.... And as far as the heat thing goes, the sun = a heat lamp.

One thing he said made me laugh. He said that because tadpoles are from ponds, they don't need filtration. Ponds don't have filtration so neither should your tank. What?? Ponds have thousands of gallons of water. His ammonia levels must be sky rocketing... I have RES in my neighborhood pond but domestic turtles need filters and water changes.... I don't know if I should trust him. Is any of his 'information' true?

7. Merlin

Correct. But you will need to monitor the ammonia levels. It can rapidly build up to toxic levels.

8. Merlin

That's the problem with Youtube. Anyone can put up any video. Youtube has probably been responsible for the death of more animals than you can imagine due to the "care" videos which are posted there.
    If you notice, this video is made by a little kid. With what he is doing I seriously doubt if any of his tads survived! With the number of tadpoles in each container and the amount of water, with no water changes, I doubt his tads made it a week.
    He is correct about the heater. Tadpoles live in cool water
    And his comment that you have to let the froglets go since they cannot live in captivity shows just how little he understands what he is doing.

9. TurtleNerd

TurtleNerd Member

Yeah, I thought so. I'll probably let the taddies go today, though I'm still really curious as to what they are. I'm pretty sure they're grey tree frogs, though I've never seen any living here. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any wild frogs here in years.... They must be really good at hiding. lol