This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind Of Snake Is This?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Joe Lerma, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Joe Lerma

Joe Lerma New Member

Found this snake at a job we are at and wanted to know what kind it is. Tried looking it up but could not find out what kind it is.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Lerma

Joe Lerma New Member

It was found in Portland, Tx

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like a rough green snake.

4. HerpDerper

HerpDerper New Member

You should really be careful of handling snakes with your bare hands if you are unsure of the species of snake. Even if it may be a baby snake, poisonous baby snakes can still inject a lethal amount of poison in you. You are lucky though this isn't poisonous :)

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

HerpDerper, I know this sounds remedial but you are looking for venomous, not poisonous. Poison needs to be ingested for it to work. Venom is injected. While we do know what you are talking about, it is always best to use the proper terms because then when others read the post, they too learn the difference by seeing the proper terms used.

Jay1718 and HerpDerper like this.
  6. HerpDerper

HerpDerper New Member

Noted, thank you!

Jay1718 and Rich like this.
  7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Maybe a rough earth snake

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

It's fairly easy to tell if a snake is venomous even if you don't know exactly what it is. Atleast here in North America, there is a distinct difference between venomous and non-venomous visually. I'm assuming he knows the difference if he's handling it. (Most would kill a snake and ask questions later)

9. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

For the most part I would agree with you, though with the number of irresponsible pet owners/breeders and intentional/accidental releases of non-native species into the wild I would still recommend erring on the side of caution. There is no downside to treating any snake that you can't positively identify as venomous until proven otherwise. Guessing that something is not venomous and being wrong though could have potentially dire consequences.