This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind of Lizard Should I Get

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by rev294, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Ok pictures it is. And I might get a bearded dragon on either the 13 or the 20th of December

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That should give you plenty of time to get the tank set up, and get the temperatures worked out.

3. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Yeah I know. But I still need to convince my mom that I'm not 10 any more and I'm more responsible then when I was 10

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

By setting the tank up FIRST and getting everything right BEFORE you get the animal, will help show you are more responsible now. Print out a copy of the care sheet and go over it with your mom as well. Discuss with her how you plan on caring for it, what it will eat. Set up a clean up schedule for the tank. And maybe find someone who will feed it when you go on vacation.

All those things show responsibility.

5. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Thank you. I'm getting the tank for free and I might get slate tile and go to petsmart to get some hiding places and lights and a feeder. Or should i not get a feeder? You know the termite mounds that have crickets in it and calcium powder.

6. schlegelbagel

No need for one of those mounds. You can just toss the crickets in. Also don't forget, bearded dragons eat veggies too. Its all on the care sheet.

7. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

OK since its snowing in Michigan would the dragon be hibernating?

8. schlegelbagel

Bearded dragons are from very warm areas of the world. They don't ever hibernate since it doesn't get this cold where they are naturally from. So your answer is no. Their tank needs to have constantly hot temps, all year round.

9. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

OK so i know what I need. A basking lamp, heat pad under the tank, uvb and uva, water dish, food dish, calcium bowl, a branch and do they need humidity boxes?

10. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Make sure you read the caresheet a few times from top to bottom before you go out shopping. Petstore employees will try to sell you things that you don't need, sometimes they even sell dangerous products! If you know your stuff before you go out you wont get duped.

11. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Okay, so I should just print it out then go to the store and see what I need?

12. schlegelbagel

1. Read the care sheet
    2. Read it again
    3. Read it one more time
    4. Make a list
    5. Draw out the layout of your tank.
    6. Go to the store.

13. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Like everyone else has stated, all the information you need is on that caresheet. But I also wanted to let ya know that beardies won't eat calcium powder out of a dish like leos will.

14. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

OK so I have to put it on the food, right?

15. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah, usually dusting the crickets once or twice a week is enough.

Please read the caresheet. It will answer a lot of these questions you are asking. You might even want to consider going over it with your parents, for a couple of reasons. This will show them that you are being responsible and learning everything you need to know, as well as they will help you decide what needs to be put on your shopping list.

16. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Yes I'm going to go over it with my parents, but thanks for caring.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL It's what we do and why we are here!

18. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Ok I printed out the care sheet, but my moms mad at work so today would not be a good day to go over it. And my friend hasn't brought the tank over yet.

19. schlegelbagel

Don't worry, lizards have been around for millions of years, they aren't going anywhere. Take your time.

20. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

As everyone has stated time and time again: READ, READ, READ!!! Not only the caresheets here at the Center, but also the books particular to the species that you want. Go to the Library, go online, go to Borders Books and Music, go anywhere to find info. Research, like you would do for school report or essay. READ, READ, READ! Get to know the information inside and out before you make the commitment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.