This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind of Lizard Should I Get

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by rev294, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Neither! Both pose an impaction risk. But particularly calcium sand.
    That stuff is garbage.
    And for a new animal I always use paper first during quarantine and then set up a substrate later.

2. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Quarantine. What do you mean by this?

3. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

When you first get a new animals, especially a reptile, it's important to have the cage setup before you get it. The best way to set it up at first, is what Merlin mentioned as Quarantined. If you have multiple reptiles, usually a quarantine is used to keep the new animal separate from the ones you already have. However, in this case, the quarantine is referring to the way the tank is set up. When you first get a new reptile, you need to closely monitor it's behaviors. Not only eating and pooping, but getting used to its personality. Bearded Dragons are susceptible to becoming what is called "impacted" impaction is when an animal eats something that it cannot pass. This is why it is not recommended to use loose substrates such as sand. In my personal opinion, I believe that the best substrate is non-adhesive shelf liner. It's extremely cheap and can be cut to any size. You can buy it at the grocery store. This is the perfect substrate because crickets can't hide underneath it and it's easy to clean up. When the Dragon poops, you can easily wipe it up with a wet paper towel. When you first get the it, you want to have the bare minimum cage accessories. That means just a food dish, a water dish a hide and something to climb on. Don't add fake plants and decorations just yet, as it will make monitoring more difficult. Also, you don't want to feed it for 48 hours, so that it can get accustomed to it's environment. You should keep the animal in quarantine for no less than 30 days. This is important so that you can make sure he's eating, pooping and acting normally. One more important thing; while the Dragon is in quarantine, DO NOT handle it. This will only stress it out more and can cause health problems. I hope this was helpful!

--Jen

4. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

OK so that's what it means. I might go to a reptile show on the 20th and I'm going to try to get the cage from my friend. If he gives it to me for free or for a cheap price I'll send you guys a picture of the cage.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

NO calcisand!!!! Your best bet would be a non particulate substrate. If you want a more natural look then try some slate tile.

6. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Why slate tile?

7. fire2225ems

Any kind of tile would work, I was just stating that if you wanted something that looked more natural the slate would cover it. (They are not from a sandy region, but rather one that has hard packed earth and sometimes even scrub)

Good non-particulate substrates include
    *reptile carpet
    *paper towels
    *Shelf Liner
    *Slate Pieces (like slabs, not gravel)
    *Tiles

8. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

But why tile? I want some sand or something because don't bearded dragons burrow?

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Bearded dragons are not burrowing lizards - slate should work fine, and you can stack it and arrange it into hides and basking platforms easily.

10. fire2225ems

No, they don't. They are from an area that is hard packed clay. Not a sandy desert.

11. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

I did not know that. But where do I get slate tile from?

12. fire2225ems

Home Depot

13. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Thats for houses and I dont have the tools to cut it.

14. fire2225ems

Depending on the size of your tank and the tile you get you might not have to cut it. Some hardware stores will also cut it for you...

15. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

But still, is it easy to clean the poop off it?

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, slate is flat, so an old toothbrush dedicated to herp use, or a scrubber will suffice for the worst of messes. Bearded dragon poop really isn't that messy. It's the urates that get messy.

17. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Nasty, but better then a cat's litter box. I might have my cage in tomorrow. Its the one that my friend is going to give to me for free and just to tell you that is nice and big, and I mean big.

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, definitely better than a litter box. There are many things you can use to clean the slate, including water, diluted bleach, or white vinegar. It shouldn't be, but if you find that odor is a problem with the slate, you can take out pieces of it, and soak them in vinegar for a couple hours (overnight, while you're at work/school etc). Vinegar is a very mild acid that will break down the residue. It does not have harmful vapors or fumes, and will dissipate on it's own. It's time consuming, but it really does work, and is pretty safe.

19. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Ok, but do you want me to send you a picture of the tank when I get it?

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You can post it here if you want to, or just let us know the dimensions. Most of us like to brag though, when we have a new setup, and we are suckers for pictures anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.