This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind of Lizard Should I Get

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by rev294, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

I am not sure what kind of lizard I want. I was wondering what kind of lizard you guys or girls want me to get. :confused:

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I would think it depends on what your likes, dislikes are.
    What you are capable of taking care of.
    Do you care what it eats?
    Can you provide what it needs? ect ect.
    Without knowing what you prefer it's difficult.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There really is no good way for someone to tell someone else what to keep. However with a few answers we could suggest some possibilties.

How much experience do you have keeping reptiles?
    What size of enclosure can you have?
    How much money do you have to spend on the lizard and setting up its housing?
    How much can you spend on maintaining the animal?
    Do you want something that eats plants, bugs or both?
    Do you want something that you can handle or would you be willing to have a display, look but don't touch, animal?

4. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Well I did have a leopard gecko but it wouldnt eat so I gave it back. I have a job that I make a

good amount of money, but nothing to brag about. And since Christmas is coming up I could have

my parents buy the lizard. I'm either thinking of a sav or a chinese water dragon. I would

buy the enclosure or take out a loan with my parents since they have a very very high paying job

and work it off since I work for them. I'm either thinking of putting them downstairs in the lodge

or in my room next to my xbox 360 and T.V. My room is on the 3rd floor which it does get hot.

The one thing I need to know is, which is easier to take care of, and is liked to be handled alot. thanks Lucysfriend, and Merlin.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Lots of people have had great experience with both types of lizards. CWD's of course are smaller and more manageable, though many of them tend to be jumpy nervous animals. Savs are all over the map as far as temperament. They can be quite aggressive, or laid back bordering on comatose, and everything in between.

Having a room in a warm place will mean it's easier to heat the cage adequately.

Good luck buying an adequate enclosure for either lizard - you're better off making/modifying your own. You won't like the price of some of the enclosures made for reptiles. Sure, they are great, they look great, they might even function great, but the price tag can be a real deterrent.

6. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

How much are they? I dont have good experience with building stuff so if you guys have any plans for some can you send me them so I can take care of a lizard without spending like 2000 dollars on a cage.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The lizards you should probably get from a breeder - they will most likely be more affordable, and healthier than ones you would buy at a pet store. You could also adopt one from a reptile rescue shelter as well.

However, first things first, have the cage ready before you get the animal. Decide what you're getting, get the cage, get the temps steady, make sure you have access to a steady supply of the types of food you will need.

Then, last but not least, get your lizard.

8. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

yea i know that but i need the places for good cages and how big do you think the tank should be for a sav or a water dragon and i want some thing that dosn't eat cats or dogs because i have 2 cats and 1 dog in my house and my cats usally sleep in my room so do you think a sav would try to eat them because that would be bad

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You have to consider the size of enclosures that you are going to need. Aquarium tanks aren't going to cut it for either.

The water dragon will need more height as well as a swimming area. A cage size of 6 ft long x 2-3ft deep and 4-6 ft high is the minimum recommended.
    For the savanna you will need more ground space An enclosure 8 ft x 4 ft is recommended for them as adults. That will take a heck of a chunk of useable space out of a room!

10. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Thanks, so basically I have to build my own don't I?

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Most likely. Cages that size come with several thousand dollar price tags. Making your own is workable, there are some very good threads in the enclosure construction section of this forum. You can get everything you need at a decent hardware store for a couple hundred dollars.

12. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Ok where are those threads. Because if I want to get a lizard I need to build it before spring. Just how long does it take to make a custom cage.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Time depends a lot on what you use, and how much time you can devote to it to complete it. If you need to use paints, stains, or glues, it'll need a lot of time to cure, and to air out so the fumes don't kill your herp.

http://www.herpcenter.com/herp-habitat-construction/

You can also get a lot of good ideas there looking at what other people have already done.

14. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

You are awesome. Thanks for the link and I'm still trying to decide between a sav or a Chinese water dragon. What are the perks for both of them?

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

16. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

What thats kind of stupid that they don't have one. Isn't it one of the most common pet reptile?

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't know about reptiles overall, but they certainly are commonly kept monitors. You should be able to look up a few or contact some sav owners to get their opinions.

18. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Yea thats a good idea, but just wondering what kind of reptile do you have?

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Jurassic Milk Snake, Mississippi Map Turtle, Chinese Water Dragon.

They are all listed in my signature.

20. rev294

rev294 Elite Member

Oh you sure do like snakes. I'm more of a lizard guy but I was once a snake lover when I helped a hurt garter snake back to health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.