This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind of Frog

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Dragonscalestudios, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I am in the process of converting a 2 drawer nightstand into a 20 gal cube tank(very slightly taller than long or wide, maybe an inch or 2). I was hoping to use it to house a small frog or toad. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what type of frog or toad would be ok in a 20 gal cube without having to upgrade vivarium? Climate is not an issue, activity level is not an issue, diet is not an issue.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: What Kind of Frog?

I'm trying to figure out what this phrase means. Can you elaborate?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Liz I think that they mean the existing one will be for life and not have to have another larger one later.

4. schlegelbagel

That's what I thought, but I don't like to assume.

If its 20 gallons cubed.... You can do a pair of either green tree frogs, reed frogs, gray tree frogs.. The frogs would have to be small ones.

I would go against any ground dwelling frogs, since it lacks the floor space.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL I completely understand! But after 30 years of being an investigator and reading thu endless witness statements I tend to be pretty good at interpreting things.

And if I am incorrect I have no problem being informed of such.

6. Dragonscalestudios

You are correct Merlin. Thanks for the info Liz.

7. Dragonscalestudios

So I have decided to go with the 40 gallon instead of the 20.

Any suggestions on diurnal frogs?

8. schlegelbagel

Diurnal? the only thing diurnal are bullfrogs/leopard frogs, and they need a much much much larger enclosure. Most frogs are nocturnal.

Firebellied Toads are diurnal and fun. You could have a whole mess of them in a 40 gallon.

I have an African Pyxie frog in a 40 breeder. He's mean and not very active. ;)

9. Dragonscalestudios

Ok so since I believe you are one of the resident frog experts, I have a question. If all tree frogs are nocturnal, how do you handle that, as far as feedings, observation, tank cleanings, etc.? I thought about the fire bellies, but it is pretty much between them and the red eyed tree frog (I know it is nocturnal). Are RETFs decent beginner frogs? I really don't want to get in over my head, mainly for the frog's sake. Thanks in advance Liz.

10. schlegelbagel

I'm not going to lie. RETFs are BORING. I see mine, mostly stuck to plants and the glass. I"ll see them awake for maybe 60 seconds a night, where I'll peep in, go, "awww hi pretty guy" and then leave.

As for a beginner frog, if you get the set up right, then they are OK. Getting the setup with the proper hides, temps, humidity, etc are key. If you can do that, they are fine.

If you want a more active nocturnal frog, I would suggest WTF.

As for cleaning. I usually do it just before the lights go off. Its sooooo easy to clean when they are all sleeping. You don't have to worry about any escapees. And I do see them. My lights go off at 7:00. I don't get home from work until 6:00, so having them up during the day doesn't benefit me at all. Sometimes the White's are up by 6:30, but the boys don't usually stir until 8:00 or so.

11. Dragonscalestudios

Fantastic, I really appreciate your advise and input. I want to plan everything out before deciding on a frog. I want to know every detail before I even start working on the enclosure. I've been reading a lot on every type of frog I can find. What about personality? Which in your opinion has the best?

12. schlegelbagel

By far the Whites have the best personality. The RETFs and toads are really skiddish, and the pacmans don't want to be held. If you really tick off a pyxie they can bite and draw blood ;)

13. Dragonscalestudios

Sounds like white's are the way to go! Thanks again Liz! Do you have pics of your whites' set-up?

14. schlegelbagel

15. Dragonscalestudios

Beautiful set-up!

16. schlegelbagel

Thanks! The only thing I wish I did, was build the cabinet from scratch instead of a found piece. I don't feel like its going to last forever. I had to do a lot of modifications to it to make it work out. If I could do it all over again, I would do it a little different and have the amish carpenter make me one to spec.

17. willow98b

willow98b Active Member

I would gbo with the gray tree frog just cuz they r sooooooooooo cute but listen to schlegelbagel she is the expert here

18. jclee

jclee Active Member

I just wanted to chime in on the boring-ness of nocturnal treefrogs. I "get around it," so to speak, by making sure the timer is on a different schedule than I am. The treefrogs are off to the side of my livingroom. Their timer is on a 12 hour cycle, from 9AM-9PM. I'm usually up past 9. As soon as that timer goes out, I can see frogs hopping around and scooting along the side of the glass. The view's not as clear as it would be with the light on, but I think it's a happy compromise.

In other words, nocturnal pets don't have to be all that dull, especially if you are nocturnal, yourself.

19. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Krim's light is on 7A to 7P and she starts her activity 8-ish. I clean her enclosure by scooping out the poo whenever I see it- and I clean the entire enclosure whenever it needs cleaning, 15 minutes is not going to bother her too much. I move her to a 5 gallon while I clean, it is the easiest way to go with such a fatty lumpkin. I change her bathtubs daily. She eats whenever we drop food in, typical tomato;). They aren't very active, they puff and "hiss" if they feel threatened. The most action (aside from the escapes) we have seen from her is growth. I swear, she has grown so fast you can see it happen!

20. schlegelbagel

Yep, all my timers go on and off on the 7:00s. I usually see the RETFs when I'm cleaning, and the whites start calling around 9:00. My pacmans are just blobs anyway and half the time it looks like I'm caring for a tank of dirt.