This Disappears When Logged In

What Kind of Frog Do I Have??

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by hillary713, Sep 3, 2009.

1. hillary713

hillary713 Member

hey there, I found a frog in my room (room is in the basement, I'm assuming he crawled in through our sump pump) however, I'm having a hard time figuring out what species he is. unfortunately I can't upload any pictures, but even a ball park guess would be great, at least get me going in the right direction.

he/she is bright green, with dark spots on its back, its legs look striped in the same color of the spots, sort of a dark black or brown, the throat is white (does this mean it's a female??) and its about two inches big. just want to make sure I'm providing the best home for this little guy=)

2. brandon

brandon Elite Member

Check this out and see if you find a match
    There is one called "green frog" It kind of fits your description on he is not so bright....

Chicago Herpetological Society

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

is it a tree frog or a land frog?

leopard frog kind of fits as well.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

5. hillary713

hillary713 Member

you guys are amazing! that's exactly what he looks like! i looked online for an hour trying to find a picture and a name and care sheet, these guys have any special needs? so far I have him in there with water and a rock so he can get out of the water, I feed him crickets and wax worms, is that all i need?

thanks again!

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What size tank do you have him in? They need lots of space. At least a 55 gallon. If you are not able to provide that, then I would let him go.

If you can provide that, he will need his food dusted once a week with a calcium supplement to prevent MBD. You might want to give him some land area as well.

7. hillary713

hillary713 Member

no I have him in a 15 gallon! will it be safe to let him go after he has been living with me for awhile? will he be able to hunt and stuff? also winter is coming up. def can't provide the fifty five but I don't want the poor little guy to die=( any suggestions?

8. schlegelbagel

How long have you had him in your house now? Its not that cold out, if you let him go now, he should be fine.

Just to be sure, he did turn out to be a leopard frog?

9. hillary713

hillary713 Member

shoot I have had him for about... two months or so. It most definitiely is a leopard frog (thanks merlin!). I have a lake in the subdivision by my house, should I release (s)he there? I'm just worried bacause i think he hatched in my sump pump and has been living there his whole life, he was little when I found him and still had what looked to be like a little numb from his tad tail. now he is much larger, they grow fast!

again thank you so much for your help!

10. schlegelbagel

Just take him to an area that has a pond. He'll do fine :)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed! It has thousands of generations of imprinted genetic knowledge to rely on.

12. hillary713

hillary713 Member

Ok good! I will take him over there asap! Thank you so much for all the help, I'm glad ringo will make it LOL

13. hillary713

hillary713 Member

released ringo the other day, it was sad=( but I'm glad that he will be in a better place for him! it was cool too cuz when we were down there we saw a snake!

14. schlegelbagel

Great news! And fun find with the snake.