This Disappears When Logged In

What Is This?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by sonnyboiWr13a, Jan 15, 2018.

1. sonnyboiWr13a

sonnyboiWr13a Member

I just got this green anole yesterday and she seems ok, she's eaten 2 crickets already. She walks really funny though, she lefts up her legs so I lifted her tail and saw this. Is she hurt?

dota.jpg

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Difficult to guess, really. Better pictures may help. It looks like either something is crusted to the vent or that the vent itself is inflamed, possibly both. Has she pooped yet? If so is there any blood or anything abnormal in the stool? Pictures of that may help too.
    Try swabbing the area gently with a moist cotton swab and see if anything comes off.

3. sonnyboiWr13a

sonnyboiWr13a Member

I don't believe shes pooped yet but I also have two other anoles in the same tank so its hard to tell but I tried swabbing the area with a wet cotton pad and only a tiny piece came off and it seems like its just really crusted over. I'm not sure what to do.
    dota 2.JPG dota 3.JPG dota 4.JPG

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not versed on anole sexing, however I do know that they are similiar to Chameleons in that mating is forced upon the female. This could be related to that perhaps. Have you seen any mating?

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Looks like a female, how hindered is her movement? Is she eating and drinking?
    May also be a good idea to separate her to monitor her pooping

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What is the substrate? Could be something stuck to the vent during defication.

7. sonnyboiWr13a

sonnyboiWr13a Member

I use coconut fiber for substrate

8. sonnyboiWr13a

sonnyboiWr13a Member

Yeah I just fed her this morning she mainly eats crickets and mealworms

9. sonnyboiWr13a

sonnyboiWr13a Member

Well I haven't seen any actual mating but I have a juvenile male anole who is super tiny compared to her and my other female anole and all he does is bob his head and flare his dewlap from time to time but I'm not sure if hes even capable of doing any mating lol.

10. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Even when they're smaller than the females the male anoles will sometimes try to mate if there's no bigger male around to dominate them. However that doesn't, to me personally, look like a result of mating. Might just be some feces stuck to the cloaca, if she is having watery poop it may be a sign of parasites or something else.