This Disappears When Logged In

What is This Salamander

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by dan_rump, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

My step mother was SCREAMING about a year and a half ago because there was some kind of snake crawling by our basement window. It's a dirty brown color with black circles. It's about 6 inches long and MEAN. It likes to eat my brothers toads, and already ate his frogs. Any idea what it is? I'll try to post a picture of it tonight.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Re: What is This Salamander???

Why is he eating the toad and frogs? Are you keeping them together?

3. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

yes... my littlest brother catches toads and frogs from the back yard and puts them in there.

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

housing animals together is obviously not a good idea!

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

You mention that your stepmom thought it was a snake when she saw it. Does it have a long body, but tiny legs? Was it wet out or just after a big rain when you found it? Is there a stream or anything nearby?

When you say "black circles" do you mean a ring pattern? If it looks like this:
    http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Amphib369.jpg
    Then it's a tiger salamander. That would be my first assumption.

6. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

i know it's not a good idea... but he wanted to keep them. he just goes out back and catches a couple toads and frogs and puts them in his aquarium which is pretty neat that he's got. my step mom bought it for him. there aren't any streams even close but it does have a long body and tiny legs and it's a tiger salamander.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Tigers don't typically have tiny legs though. A picture will help confirm it, but a tiger salamander still seems most likely. They don't always live near water and they'll eat almost anything.

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

well I hope he learns from this, so he does not cause anymore unneccassary deaths.

9. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

he has learned. and i'll get a picture up monday. i'm leaving town today. he said as soon as i move out he is going to give it to me but i think i'm going to let it go. where should i let it go at though?

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If you're in IN then I wouldn't let it go at this time of year. You're stuck with him until spring or summer arrive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.