This Disappears When Logged In

What is It?

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by aveggiemonster, Jun 30, 2011.

?

What do you think it is?

1. Parasite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bug from Substrate

75.0%
  3. Life stage of cricket

25.0%
  1. aveggiemonster

aveggiemonster New Member

I have found two bugs in my AFT's cage. They are very small, less than 1cm long and probably 1 or 2 mm wide. They're white and fast. I had never found them in his cage before I moved or before this new bag of substrate. Also I know that crickets lay eggs in his humid hide so I change the paper towel often, but it's possible that they lay eggs in the sand as well. Does anyone know what these bugs are? Could they be parasites? Or baby crickets? He's eating well and he's not skinny. Could the bugs be from the new substrate? One was under a fake plant leaf, which I found probably about a month ago, and the second one was in his humid hide, under the paper towel, which I found today.

2. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Well 1cm long seems to be a little to big for a parasite, I couldn't tell you what it is without a picture and even then I doubt I would be able to figure it out. Hopefully someone from the site has some ideas, or maybe give us a photo?

3. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

without a picture it would be impossible to tell you what it is.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

One cm long is pretty big. You must mean a mm long?
    Probably a species of springtail.

5. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

As stated above, a picture is needed to properly identify what it is......the main reason I am responding to this is that you mention
    That statement leads me to believe that you are leaving uneaten crickets in the cage after your AFT has stopped eating.. This is not a good idea. If the crickets have the time to lay eggs, then they also have the time to nibble on/bite/ and stress out your AFT. I highly suggest removing all uneaten crickets from the cage after 15 minutes, or feeding the AFT in a separate container so that there is no chance of a cricket being left in the cage.