This Disappears When Logged In

What Happened To My Beardie?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by annarawrr, Jul 4, 2018.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

My beardie Beady is 6 years old, and for the past 3 years has been living with my grandparents because I had to go study overseas. He was doing well until he lost a significant amount of weight this past year. I'm home for good now, and he's eating plenty and getting lots of UVA/UVB. He used to be on a diet of superworms (he absolutely won't eat any veggies!) but now finds dubias more appetizing. He lives in a tank (3ft×2ft×2ft) and was probably not getting optimal amounts of UVA/UVB while I was gone.

Since I got him back a month ago, he's gained back a lot of weight, is eating regularly and is alert. But the other day I noticed this huge hole in his chest!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    20180704 133059 — imgbb.com
    20180704 133106 — imgbb.com

I can't figure out what might have happened but it looks bad. His tank was outdoors (we live in Malaysia so it's always warm but there may be animals about) and had a plastic top - Could one of his superworms have been gnawing on him? He has a huge chunk of driftwood in his tank, could he have snagged himself on it? I just don't see that happening, he's not very active and prefers to just sit around all day.

He seems fine otherwise and the wound appears to be healing. I just want to know if this was caused by an illness, or some other kind of injury! Please help!

PS - Sorry he's so dirty! I think the driftwood stained him (And don't worry he wasn't on reptisand!)

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s nice to see you posting again even though it`s not a "happy" topic.
    It`s not possible to say what it is other than a wound of some sort, it looks quite "clean", if it seems to be healing not much you can do, maybe gently dab the area with a diluted iodine solution; ten parts water to one part iodine, do that once per day and allow to dry, if the wound doesn`t seem to be improving the only answer is a vet visit.