This Disappears When Logged In

What can be housed in a exo terra nano wide? 8" square

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Newtot, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Newtot

Newtot New Member

Got this for my daughter after her goldfish died. I was thinking of there 3 things, let me know what you think. Green tree frog and or red eye tree frog, fire bellied toad or red claw crab! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Pretty much none of those will work.
    The tree frogs you listed need a lot more room than that, and the fire belly needs some sort of filter, (unless you enjoy cleaning scummy water 2 times a week)
    The red claw probably needs a filter also, and more room.
    I know you didn't list them, but maybe land hermit crabs? They're definitely a good kid's pet. They don't pinch much, if at all. They're also fairly low maintenance,(change the food every couple days and the water daily) and they're pretty hands on.
    Plus they come in all kinds of pretty shells, which a little girl would probably enjoy.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Hermit crab would work. And if you got a plan shell she could decorate it herself which she would probably like even more.
    And there are alot of hermit crab decorations that she could choose from.

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Just don't paint the inside of their shell, I heard that it agitates their abdomens...

5. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

That is too small for an adult hermie, in my eyes. Plus hermies are social, so i'd keep them in a small group if i were going to keep any at all. Those tanks also do not hold humidity well unless extreme meaures are taken, so that is another reason.

Get a rose haired tarantula, basically nothing else will fit.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I thought tarantulas needed 12x12x12?

7. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

Would that size be large enough for a Spring Peeper?

8. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

It might be, but considering their native to your area, in the summer when the wild one's are calling good luck sleeping. They are loud! Having one in your own home is just terrible.

9. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

I have! I live in a rural wooded area on a lake. They've come in and spent the winter with us, inside planters. I put all of my house plants outside for the Spring and Summer and they always end up inside of them. Sometimes they'll show their faces so I can catch them but most often not. I actually love the sound.

10. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Oh, well in that case, hopefully a frog expert will know if thats an adequate size enclosure.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can't think of much of anything that would be happy in a tank that size.