This Disappears When Logged In

What Breed of Kingsnake Do I Own?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Twixxy, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Alright, I'm completely new to this forum type thing and I'm lost and have no where else to go, so I'm praying you guys can help me out here.
    But first, imma answer these questions since it seems mandatory lol.

· How long have you owned the animal? 6 months.
    · What is the enclosure size? 40 gallon.
    · What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)? Aspen shavings.
    · What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? (UVB and Basking) None, because it's too hot at the moment for extra heat.
    · What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured? constant 70~73 degrees with a heating mat under the tank.
    · What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured? About 10~20%, with a small temperature gauge.. thingy. LOL
    · What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal? Have been feeding him 1 fuzzy and 1 pinky.
    · What exactly are you concerned about? (That's all below)
    I've got a king snake. My issue is not knowing what actual type of King snake I have. I got this little fellow from Petsmart about 6 months ago and was just told he's a King snake. No california king, no banded desert, nothing. Just a king. I tell people I have a king snake and the first thing they ask is "what kind of King is it?" & I have no idea how to answer that question lol.
    Here's the run down of my snake.
    I'm assuming it's a male judging by the size of it's tail, so I'll be calling "it" a he. His name is Peekers, solely based on the fact that this little guy loves to peek his head out and say hello. He's roughly 10~11 months old. His color is white and brown, and his belly is the same colors. He has no bands, so he's obviously not a banded king. His pattern is actually quite unique in my opinion. So, what kind of King snake is this little guy?
    The picture I've attached below is when he was 9 months old, his first attempt at eating a fuzzy. The first picture is when he was 4~5 months old.

Attached Files:

2. LillithTheSpider

LillithTheSpider Active Member

Pretty sure that is a california king snake, the most common king snake sold at Petsmart (former employee). The color morph appears to be a Hi-White but I could be mistaken on that. But definately a cali.

Scotty likes this.
  3. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

So as far as I know, it's just strictly a california king? I looked at Aztec Cali kings and that's what he looks like, but I'm totally lost.
    That and I'm concerned about the heating of the tank. While trying to look up what kind of king he is, 3 of the sites I looked at all stated the tank should be in high 70's, mid 80's. Cooler side being about 78 and warmer being 85~90+. Well... He has a huge tank, but he's growing very quickly, so that's why he's in a 40 gallon. On one side, he has a hiding area, with a heating mat under the tank, which is very warm to the touch. On the other side, there's a hiding tree, which is quite large, a somewhat small water bowl, and no heating. The temperature meter is in the middle of the tank and it stays at 70~73 constantly, day and night. Reason being is it's hot over here, I live on Vegas, and the temperatures rise about 110°, so we keep the house at 78~80°F. Is his tank okay being that temp all day? I tried putting a heating lamp on and using that for a good few hours on the warmer side WITH the heating pad staying there, and the tank got to about 88~90°. What do you think I should do?

4. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Now that I look at it.... He has an analog temperature thing in his cage.. The temp currently says 73°F. The humidity is at 40% and always stays at 40% unless he's in shedding.
    Now, I also have another issue. Ever since I got his tree hideout, he's hides in this tree constantly. And I just fed him 2 days ago, one fuzzy and one pinky, and he's in that tree again. I also think he's in shedding phase because he hasn't shed for a good month and a half. He looks kinda cloudy, but not really. His eyes look fine, but his skin looks slightly less shinier. He's been like this for a good 4 days.. Is it bad that he doesn't want to go to the heating source to digest? Or is he just not by the heating because I'm assuming he's in shedding phase?

5. LillithTheSpider

LillithTheSpider Active Member

You are right he does look like an Aztec....as for the temperatures, your temps are a bit on the cool side. A bit of heat definitely won't hurt him. temps in the high 80's low 90's are fine as long as he has a cool side to retreat to. He may become more active with the additional heat. As for him hiding....snakes often hide a lot, its usually a normal behavior. I would not worry about him properly digesting unless he isn't pooping. He will seek out the heat if he needs it.

6. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Yeah I kinda figured his temps were on the cooler side. Well, for the past 6 months that I've owned him.. He has ALWAYS been a very active snake, day or night, and rarely seeks his hiding areas. The picture I posted of him in the actual tank was his first tank, and we decided to remove the heating lamp from above and just use the heating pad below the tank. We later then switched from a 20 gallon to a 40 gallon because he was growing very quickly and it made me kinda upset watching him try to find new places to roam about. the only issue I have is how to do this without having one side be too hot and one side being too cold. I'll post a picture of the tank I have now, and please ignore the crappy paint job I did LOOOL. I write on my wall and some of the stuff is when I was super young and very embarrassing for others to read. That is the tank I have now. The tree you see in there now is the tree I added about a month ago. He has fallen in love with it and always goes inside it to hide or sleep, or w\e snakes do when they get bored lol. It has zero heating on that side. On the right side is where there's a green mat for him to burrow under and a heating mat right below it. He either goes to the heat or the tree.Before he had the tree, he would ALWAYS hide under that green mat. And he's been leaning more towards hiding in the tree. I have no idea what to do. The area where the tree is, is where the cool side needs to stay cool. On the other side, with the heating pad is where it stays warm. I'm assuming 90+ because the glass with the heating pad is quite warm to me just by touching it.
    So what do I do? I can't make one side super hot and one side cold. If you suggest me adding the lamp I used before(not sure what kind it is honestly, it just came with the tank, it heats up the tank quite quickly though, within an hour it's alrdy +5°F.), do I put it above where the heating pad would be? Or just slightly inbetween the tree AND the heating mat?

Attached Files:

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not sure of the exact morph name but you have a California kingsnake.

You have a couple of issues. First, that analog thermometer needs to be replaced. They are garbage and can be up to 15 degrees off! Go to Wal-Mart or the hardware store and get a good digital with a remote probe. When you actually know what the temperatures are, you want a hot spot of 90 degrees. Not the entire tank, just one end of it. And you have to KNOW what the temperature of the basking spot is, not just trying to guess by touch. The probe will allow you to test this.
    The tank needs a bit more clutter. This will give more hiding areas. Snakes, particularly young snakes, tend to stay hidden a lot. Because everything would eat them!

8. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Oh my gosh Merlin, thank you for the reply!
    And I know for a fact that garbage thermometer needs to be replaced.. The humidity cannot be 40% when I have a soaking towel with a basking lamp above that cage... Should be a lot higher. Should I get the digital probe thermo AND a regular digital therm that sticks on the side of the glass? and what about something that can tell me about the humidity?
    I've never looked at that type of thermo, but I'll definitely check it out. And the heating pad he has is hot to me, but when I lift up the mat and check up on him, he's curled AROUND the heating area, so half way on it, half way not. But I would assume if it got too hot, he would just move away from it.
    And I do agree, but i'm not sure what else to put in it without over cluttering it and making it a mess, you know? Would toilet paper tubes work? I know he loves to hide and climb, which is why I have those tree branches(which he has actually slept on before!).

9. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Alrighty, Merlin. Bit of an update. Just went shopping and found a "Digital Thermometer for Terrariums" therm at Petco. the hottest spot RIGHT ONTOP OF THE HEATING PAD is 102°F. On the OUTSIDE of the heating pad, it's staying to about 85~88°F. when I first owned this little guy, i had never seen him directly on the heating source AT ALL, I checked this everytime I would see him hid under his mat. he has always curled himself AROUND it. And even if he did touch it, I would have a very strong feeling he would move away from it. I also now have a heating lamp on and the tanks warm side of the temp is being kept at about 83°F. I also got him a bigger Tupperware container for water FOR NOW just so he has a bigger area to soak in and the humidity can be raised. As for hiding places, at the moment I'm using extra toilet paper tubes because I can't afford anything at the moment lol. Is all of this okay?

10. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

UPDATE;
    Sorry for the spam.. Tested something out... I cut out a small piece of a terrarium carpet, smaller than the heating pad so he gets that 90°F contact heat he needs, and hot glue gunned that to the glass and it stuck pretty good. Then I recovered it the the big green mat he had, which was a horrible idea, and the mat got to 117°F, so I removed the rlly big green carpet and just left the glued one one.. The temp dropped a good 13°F almost instantly, so it should stay at about 90~98°F, 87° being on the very outside, and obviously gets hotter and hotter as you get to the center of the pad... that fixed my heating mat problem.

As for the decor, Merlin, you suggested more hides basically. Since I can't go out and buy one now, the picture I posted of him being 4~5 months old and you can see he's on top of the old cave I used, I put that back into the tank on the very right hand side to where one enterance is touching the glass and the other is not.(hopefully he'll use this to hide now with the new positioning). I also put in a toilet paper tube just so he has something else to go through..

Is all of this okay now? Would like an answer asap^^!

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most with heating pads regulate them with a thermostat or a rheostat.

As for the hides, the snake doesn't care. Paper tubes, fake leaves, pieces of bark, etc.

12. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Is there a thermostat you could recommend and where to get it? I've got a zilla heat mat for under the tank, if that helps.
    & he still hasn't come out of his cave so I'm not sure how he likes his new hides, as he's still deep in shed and hasn't budged from his spot for at least 5 days now.

13. Horrorphile

Horrorphile Active Member

I have had great success with the Vivarium Electronics thermostats. I buy from Reptile Basics and have had nothing but great experiences dealing with thoise guys (quick shipping, great customer support)