This Disappears When Logged In

What Are Your Hobbies?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EriksExotics, Apr 11, 2014.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I have a bunch of different hobbies and interests.

I was thinking about it a minute ago and now I'm interested in what kinds of hobbies you guys have and any hobbies you want to get into or hobbies you've done, etc?

2. EriksExotics

I'll start...

One of my hobbies is reptiles (obviously lol)
    as well as Music. I've been making music for about 9-10 years now.
    I also like lifting weights and boxing and BJJ.
    I've been lifting on and off for around two years and I'm just starting to get serious about it. I don't think I'll really get serious about Boxing or BJJ because I was born with one kidney and I fear being punched wrong abd dying or something but I do love training and sparring :)

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Whats BJJ?

I was a ballroom dancer, graphic designer, game artist, and a barrel racer when I was younger.
    Now I just play videogames, draw on occaision, cook, bake, and shoot pool.

I would like to become better at knife throwing and learn how to shoot a bow.

As far as reptiles thats not really a hobby its more of a life style.

4. EriksExotics

BJJ is short for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Those are some great hobbies, btw :)

5. safftaft

safftaft Well-Known Member

Barrel racing sounds cool! I throw knives and darts and bow hunt occasionally. When I'm not cleaning cages I hike and canoe. I also like shooting, biking and traveling. I'm by the beach so there's always something to do.

6. EriksExotics

I have a little 100 LB compound but I don't use it much.

When I do, I just set up a target in my yard and mess around a little bit

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Not sure I can remember them all...

Tropical fish (aquariums)
    Reptiles (hehe)
    Photography
    Straight razor rebuilding and use
    Japanese Kitchen Knives
    Sharpening stones
    Cooking
    Cast Iron Cookware
    Backpacking
    Bicycle Touring
    Black Powder Shooting
    Long range shooting
    Gunsmithing
    DCM competition
    CCG's
    RPG's (role play games)
    Fountain Pens and Inks

Oh I'm sure I missed just as many...

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Gardening, running, music, reading, sign language. Not sure if raising a child is considered a hobby or interest but it is quite the experience.

9. lisas

lisas Elite Member

My animals are more part of my family unit than a hobby. I enjoy dump digging for old relics, semi-precious stone mining, jewelery making (with my finds), hiking, running, swimming, reading, gardening, vegan cooking, joking irreverently, and learning about and using wild plants.
    Sign language is cool. I don't know much but use what I do know at work (woman is deaf but has an IPAD).
    What is straight razor rebuilding & use? Are you cutting food with the Japanese cooking knives?

10. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh hey, I'm vegan too. :D cooking isn't a hobby it's just part of life for me. Same for our rescue cows, not a hobby, just an important part of my life. We raise them and train them to be 4h show or petting cows.

11. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Hello. We do a lot of stuff as a family ... but here are some of mine/ours.

4 wheeling, gardening, make crafts and refinish furniture, fishing, hunting, we go to tug fests (2 trucks attempt to tug each other) - our friends own some, reading, my father races late model cars (dirt track) so we go there often. We also work on vehicles - esp the Mustang, I also enjoy cleaning so I don't know if that is considered a hobby or requirement of a mom lol. I also enjoy my e cigarette I quit smoking a year ago with thwm and I quite enjoy them. Don't know if it's considered a hobby either.

And we may buy a camper here soon so camping possibly in the future.

12. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Im big into the anything that gets me out on nature. Camping, hunting and shooting, and Im a nutjob when it comes to kayaking, especially this time of year.

Im also fanatic about disc golf. Been playing for what seems like forever and I cant get enough

13. EriksExotics

I love it :) Thanks, Everyone!

I'm not vegan but I do fruitarian cycles where I only eat fruits and nuts. The only downside is that I have to drink a bunch of nasty protein supplements when I do so.

It may sound pathetic but I come from a very poor family and one thing I've always liked to do growing up was walking my dogs in rich neighborhoods and look at the houses and cars. It motivates me to stay focused on the important things and focus on what I want to do as an adult and what I want to achieve in life

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, when I am not at work, I'm never still. Gardening and houseplants - I have a particular interest in carnivorous plants, orchids, Tillandsias (air plants) epiphyllums (Orchid cacti) Hoyas, and a few other groups. Over 100 species of plant in my house, and more I keep outdoors. Every available windowsill has a plant, and curtain rods hold hanging plants rather than curtains, lol. Almost all of them live in my bedroom, but we ran out of space, so they spread to other windowsills throughout the house.

I try, and typically fail, at fruit/vegetable gardening. This year, I am going to try my hand at raising chickens for eggs. Wish me luck.

I love cooking - still working on (struggling with self control) being gluten free.

I like to find art that speaks to me. I don't go looking for specific artists or pieces or themes, but sometimes, I just see something I must have. Running out of wall space, and it's a rather eclectic collection.

Definitely enjoy arts/crafts/upcycling - which is so easy to do with the local goodwill. You never know what treasures you'll find there for pennies!

I read TONS. and I hoard books - real paper books. I burn through a book or three each week, and will read almost anything. Sci-Fi & Fantasy are great, but lately, I have also been binging on virology, genetics, biology and evolutionary theory and other non-fiction topics.

Hiking, nature photography, Bicycling, kayaking, camping, herping, etc. I have member ships at most of the local zoos and botanical gardens. We travel and take road trips to see the ones farther away.

My house is slowly turning into a museum.

15. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

If your interested my youtube link below shows some of my razor stuff :p

Yes I use all my kitchen knives Japanese and Western. When I worked in restaurants I used them on the line as well. Health issues keeps me off the line nowdays but I still get out the big knives once in a while :)

Newsetupbettersm.jpg

16. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Reptiles, tropical aquariums, travelling, biking, swimming, playing the piano (music in general), reading, my dog (lol. not really a hobby but takes up a lot of my time;)), ... of which travelling is one of my biggest passions. I can't sit still XD And I have unsatiable curiosity about everything, I'm one of those people that just HAVE to know;) So I like exploring places where I'm not supposed to go and researching things that nobody really cares about but which are mysterious and interesting to me, going down caves and old buildings, you know...that sort of thing. I'm a huge child at heart:)

17. lisas

lisas Elite Member

It's cool to know there are other vegans out there. Cooking is a hobby for me because I'm always looking up and trying different ethnic recipies and experiment a lot with baked goods. My family members aren't vegan, but they eat lots of my food.
    Cows are beautiful animals. I work with the disabled and we visit them all the time. It is a working farm and they are used for meat, but at least they have good lives there. Yours are very lucky. I had horses before but no way will ever be able to afford them again.

18. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Reading, music, microscopy,astronomy. That the short version

And cooking. Not to toot my own horn but I'm an amazing cook.

I also really like herping the mountains around my house. I think last summer I found thirty rattlesnakes,8 gopher snakes,a racer, two chuckwallas, and some bighorn sheep.

19. EriksExotics

Wow! Wish I could get that lucky lol So far I've found a few garter snakes and some lizards (terrible with the legged creatures.. Can't I.D them)

20. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I just realized i made a typo, that's thirteen rattlesnakes, not thirty.lol