This Disappears When Logged In

What Are the Right Lights and Heating for RETFs?

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by FunFroggies, Jan 25, 2012.

1. FunFroggies

FunFroggies Member

Hey, I am a tree frog newbie, and I have searched through a lot of these forums, but I can't find what the right heating and lighting for RETFs is. Exo-terra has a system called repti-glo. Would it be reasonable to use a 5.0 and a 2.0 (both 25w)? I saw that UTHs defy the frog's nature to go closer to the ground to get cooler, so I am avoiding that. I also saw that CHEs are good for heating, but I don't know how to install one so the frog can't get burnt. I am thinking about 3-4 red eyes, would a 18x18x24 be a good size for them? Like I said I am a newbie and have no clue what I am doing so please don't criticize.
    Thanks!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Welcome to the board. They do not need UVB. A simple household light will do.

18 x 18 x 24 is roughly 33 gallons. Are we talking an exoterra tank? I would keep no more than two in that sized tank. I had 3 in a custom 70 gallon.

You are correct in that UTHs are useless. if you set a CHE on top of the screen, on top of the tank, they won't get burnt. As long as they can't touch it, they'll be fine. If you have a CHE to maintain temps (you can get a thermostat for $40) then you can use a standard CFL bulb (they don't make heat) for your day/night schedule.

you want a daytime temp of 85 degrees at the top of the tank.

3. FunFroggies

FunFroggies Member

Oh thanks so much for your help, sorry about the confusion of my other thread. I could lower my about of frogs to two. Yes, I was planning to use an exo-terra tank. With the CHE is it just a matter of turning it on and off until I get the temp I want, or is there a heat setting? Should I have more then one CFL bulb set up on a timer so I have it get darker as the day goes by or should I just turn it off on a schedule? Last question, I was found the terrarium on amazon, and they had a picture of a setup with slate shelves (I guess you could call them) stuck into a foam back. Is that a good idea or could the frogs cut there legs? Here is the picture Amazon.com Viv pic.jpg

4. schlegelbagel

As I said in my earlier post, connect the CHE to a thermostat. I like the zoomed 500R. Works great. just set it and forget it.

5. FunFroggies

FunFroggies Member

oh ok I guess I thought you were talking about a thermometer lol thanks

6. FunFroggies

FunFroggies Member

One more question about the CHE. I am going to buy one from exo-terra, and I was wondering what wattage I should get. They come in 40, 60, 100, 150, and 250. I edited my other post before you respond, but I don't know if you saw the edited one. I asked whether it is safe to have slate platforms stuck on the sides of the viv there is a pic in post #3. Thanks for your help!

7. schlegelbagel

I had a 100 watt on my 70 gallon. 60 may not be enough. Get the 100 watt and the thermostat and you should be good to go.

8. FunFroggies

FunFroggies Member

Great, Thanks for your help!