This Disappears When Logged In

What Are Some Kenyan Sand Boa Problems (if Any at All) and How to Avoid

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Tjohns22, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Tjohns22

Tjohns22 New Member

Im hoping to get a male soon and have the 10 gallon tank setup i have some questions 1. what are some kenyan sand boa problems (if any at all) and how to avoid them. 2. What size of mouse for adult male. 3. I was thinking of ordering mice from The Big Cheese Rodent Factory and was wondering has anybody had problems with them?

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

One thing that kept popping up when I was breeding KSB's was the males going on hunger strikes regularly......

My first male would stop eating for up to 6 months at a time, freaked me out to no end. He kept drinking and doing his regular routine but refused food no matter what I did. NONE of my females refused food EVER, just the males. I'd guess at least 50% of the males I ended up with had feed issues.

Never dealt with The Big Cheese so I can't offer anything there. But in my experience do to the chance of eating issues I'd strongly suggest having multiple feed items mapped out incase one doesn't work out for you. I bred my own mice so I always had the right size available, and on one farking snake I had a color issue..... nothing pink or white would be touched.... that little bugger wanted color in he's meal, grrrr...

3. Tjohns22

Tjohns22 New Member

Thank you. i have a 10 gallon and was wondering would a hognose be better?

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I always had more trouble with Hogs than KSB's but that was many years ago and most hognoses you saw back than where wild caught, frogs where expensive food... I'm sure someone breeds them nowdays.

5. Tjohns22

Tjohns22 New Member

Thanks

6. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

I have owned both species of snakes. Hognose’s are amazing snakes, with just as impressive appetites. My female hogs could devour a jumbo mouse every 3 days if I let them, yet the male were satisfied with a single large mouse once a week (big size difference between my males and females). They were literally the garbage disposal of my collection.

As for the Kenyans, I can vouch for DwarvenChef, Both of my males were problematic feeders for a while. According to their new owner they still maintain their off and on feeding regimen. Now our female Kenyans where a different story all four of them were also garbage disposals. It got to the point that all my female Kenyans where devouring Rat pups like it was no one’s business.

Just remember that in both species the females tend to get large than the males, and a 10 gallon tank is not appropriate for them. Let's just say we kept our female kenyan’s and hognose’s in 32qt tubs.