This Disappears When Logged In

What Are Good Feeder Lizards For Water Dragons?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Ultima78, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

My cousin gets feeder lizards from a reptile store(parasite free) and they are usually anoles and geckos for his Frilled Dragon.

Can I get the same for a Water Dragon?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah you can as long as they are an appropriate size.

3. Salazare Slytherin

Salazare Slytherin Elite Member

Water Dragons like most other Asian agamids tend to be grub eaters and will eat a host of insects but favoring those, their is a great variety out there like beetle grubs, silk worms, calci worms, butter worms, dubai roaches (nice and meaty) along side crickets, and locusts, and mine will even rumage through his substrate to find the earth worms I drop in there, and a bowl of well gutloaded and supplemented meal worms.

They are not naturally built for eating other lizards other than perhaps (oppurtunisticly) and probibly isn't a healthy or the best option for them if that can be helped.

Mine won't even show interest in pinkie mice tbh.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Tai has eaten small lizards before (house geckos that get into his cage and i tried feeder anoles once because i had them) and seemed to like them. In the wild they eat whatever they can find this includes lizards, fish, grubs, fruit, etc.
    I don't see how its any different than eating fish or pinkies or even bugs. Well except for passing bones maybe. But a small lizards bones would be easier to pass than a mouse's.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is no such thing as a "parasite free" animal. All living things carry parasites, even US!
    And I have seen a couple of posts recently about captive bred anoles. I really don't know of anyone that is actually breeeding them. With their low cost it isn't economically feasable to breed them.

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Most reptiles are very opportunistic and in many cases, cannibalistic. As such, they will often eat whatever is in front of them, especially if they are hungry. For example, it's been found that Leopard geckos will eat other leopard geckos, especially if there is competition for food or space. It doesn't mean it's a good idea to feed it to them. As well, as Merlin said, there is no such thing as a parasite-free animal. And if the numerous pet stores I frequent are any example, I would never feed anoles to any of my lizards because most of the ones I've seen are sick or dead in their enclosures.

The difference between anoles (and other small lizards) and feeder mice is that it's very easy to purchase home-grown feeder mice without the added fear of possibly feeding your dragon a parasite-ridden reptile that could pass on whatever they're carrying to your dragon.

With the huge variety of feeding options available to your dragon, I just don't see the benefit in feeding live lizards to your dragon. While technically you could, the benefits really don't outweigh the risks.

7. Salazare Slytherin

Salazare Slytherin Elite Member

Nutritionally, a great deal of difference. :)

8. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

The bones are fully digested, which from a nutritional standpoint, is excellent. On the other hand, Like stated, There are much better options as far as whole vertebrate prey, like mice and fish.

9. Ultima78

Ultima78 Elite Member

So I should not feed feeder lizards because fish(I've been feeding him this) and pinkies are better nutrionally?

10. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I wouldn't say that, mainly because I don't know the nutritional content of a lizard vs mouse and fish. Mice especially neonatal ones are higher in fat than fish and probably lizards I would think. The main concern would be the quality of the feeder ie, raised for food as opposed to wild caught. Like stated parasites are everywhere, you just want to minimize the risk of infection.
    Routine fecals are a good idea for any animals eating other living things for these reasons.