This Disappears When Logged In

What About Grass?

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Maaso, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Can grass be used as a substrate? My dad is redoing the lawn here before long...and he bought to much of those preplanted grass square thingys.

It will be going to a Long Tailed Grass Lizard....and maybe some anoles. Will it work, or should I stick to the coconut husk stuff?

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

It would be nearly impossible to clean and sanitize and you would bring in bugs, and does your family ever use pesticides?

3. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

The new grass is pesticide and pollutant free...or so says the package. And the only "bugs" we have found are earth worms.

4. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I am sure you have ants and things especially if you are buying organic grass. I don't see how you could have 100% grass with no weeds if they don't use herbicides and pesticides. are you talking about sod? or grass seeds?

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

It sounds like he's talking about sod. If you want to use grass, I would suggest getting organic soil and planting seed yourself. Plus, how they heck are you going to mow it? ;)

6. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Scissors? Lol.

I dont know what it is exactly, I will ask my old man next time I see him. I was just reading what the package said.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I have repeatedly tried to grow grass via seeds in my enclosures. Hasn't worked out yet.
    I had imported some heat and drought resistant types which could handle the environment. But just couldn't get them to grow.
    I'm going to try planting outside to give it a start and then transplant into my terrarium.
    The sod would probably work out. I'd give it a try.
    You will need wide spectrum grow bulbs to keep it alive though.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What are the conditions for the enclosure? I can't remember what its for. If it's a more tropical kind, look into the kinds of grass they plant in florida.

9. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Yeah, tropical....but y'all have **** near talked me out of it.
    Unless someone else tells me its a good idea.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I personally wouldn't use grass but I kill most living plants anyway :eek:;):p

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I think it would be a neat idea - just hard to maintain. (at least for me-- no green thumb here). And of course I'd worry about what else you're bringing into the enclosure.

Do you have an extra tank you could try a set up with the grass (no critters) and just see how it works? See if it grows and what you might find in the tank after a few weeks - like bugs, etc.

You could probably do what we do with plants, wash off the soil and lay it down in organic potting soil. If I remember from the last time we used sod, the roots were thick and I don't think it would separate much if you washed it down a bit. Just a thought!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

During the warm months, the only grass we grow here is crab grass, lol.

13. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I was just wondering if it would be a good substrate, being a real plant and all. If y'all said it was good I would try it. The consensus is no though.

I might do like Frognut said and experiment growing my own. Grass dont need sunlight does it? I remember as a kid, when I would mow the grass...the grass in the shade/under the trampoline was always thinker and longer than the rest.

14. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Maybe because it was only every 2nd or 3rd mowing that you decided to go through the trouble and move the trampoline to mow it? hehe I know that's how it worked for me :p

Grass needs light. Full spectrum is best, but blue or red also works. Green is actually the worst color for plants. As for sunlight, no. Fluorescent tubes work fine.

As for why the trampoline grass was longer and thicker, I would guess that it was too hot for that grass in your backyard. So, under the trampoline the shade brought the temp down enough for proper growth. While still allowing enough light for photosynthesis. Or, more likely, the lower temp allowed for proper growth of fungus around the grass roots. Every plant needs it's fungus. Or perhaps the lack of sun killed off an unseen competitor of the grass, and allowed the grass to grow unhindered.

As you can see, there's a million possibilities. I would also bet it was a combination of things. Nothing in biology is one definitive yes or no. Everything exists in a spectrum, and there are always exceptions to every rule.

15. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Just a florescent light and proper watering. I think if you started the grass seed in organic potting soil and managed to grow it into a 'mini lawn' that way in the tank - I don't know why it wouldn't make a good substrate -- for the right critter of course.

People, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the problem with grass being used as a substrate was more because of all the stuff (bugs and who knows what) that you would find in grass sod collected from lawns. (and the possible difficulty in maintaining it). That would be eliminated if it was grown from 'scratch' with the right materials.

Would there be other reasons? I don't think my Gecko's would like it much - but it sounds like a cool idea. (In my opinion)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.