This Disappears When Logged In

Whar Can You Do with Your Sonoran While He's Out Being Handled?

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by DonJuan, Sep 18, 2014.

1. DonJuan

DonJuan Member

I'm very new to the snake world but I have already fallen in love with my new Sonoran Gopher Snake, Don Juan. I want to be able to handle him and let him roam a bit with me in the room. Is this possible? What can one do while having a Sonoran out? Any other handling tips are greatly appreciated! I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most important! Do NOT let the snake free roam! You would not believe the places they can get into and get lost.
    When handling, keep them in your hands and under control!

3. DonJuan

DonJuan Member

Can he roam around on my bed? (not to sleep) My friend lets her corn snake do that.

4. Merlin

Problem is, these guys are FAST! One minute with your eyes off of him and he's gone.

5. DonJuan

DonJuan Member

Was he a good choice as a first snake? or should I trade him for something else when Repticon comes back in town in December if hes too much?

6. Merlin

It all depends on what you want. But they are a good tough snake and not too flighty.
    However it is going to get considerably larger than a corn snake.

7. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

My sonoran loves to stay around my neck when I'm cooking or doing things around the house, and always sits on my lap and sleeps while I watch a movie, sometimes even periscoping a bit to watch some herself haha but as merlin said I never put her right down on the floor because she is lightning quick, and loves it behind my TV stand...

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I don't take my hands off any of my colubrids, they are fast and can fit into just about anything. You can set up a secure bin(with lid) and put things for him to climb on, like branches, tubes, stuff to burrow in like leaf litter.