This Disappears When Logged In

Western Hognose Snake Not Eating

Discussion in 'Hognose Snakes' started by DDmac, Jan 7, 2013.

1. DDmac

DDmac New Member

I am new to the forum and i joined because I have concerns about my Western Hognose Snake. I have owned my Western Hognose snake for 6 years, and got him when he was just a baby. I am saying "he" because he is very small in size, and for Hognoses males a usually much smaller. He hasn't been eating for the last two monthes, and he has done so in the last couple years fasting for a few monthes, but usually he does it in the spring this time he started in the fall, and hasn't eaten yet, i have tried many times giving him frozen fuzzies and even tried pinkies, but he just seems about as uninterested as it gets. He also spends a lot of time in his water bowl, although he does that often, and than later in the day starts to go around the cage for a few hours trying to break out of the cage, often just trying to dig through the glass. I hope that someone can give me some advice?

Other Advice:
    The enclosure size is about 30 inches tall, 12 inches deep, and 12 inches high.
    The substrate is Aspen shavings.
    The lighting is regular light and on one side of the cage, i try to keep one side around 85-90degrees, while the other is around 70ish
    I have always fed him frozen pinkies and than moved to fuzzies, and have never had a problem feeding him frozen unless he was in a state were he didn't want to feed, but he hasn't behaved as strange as he has lately.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hopefully someone with some knowledge on the subject can help you out.
    I'll give it a bump.

3. DDmac

DDmac New Member

Thanks i hope you are right

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

If he is a male he is probley having his breeding season fast. Lots of male colubrids will go off food when it is breeding season. Since he is in captivity breeding seasons can be triggered from light changes, pressure changes and temprature changes. I have a cornsnake who is gravid right now, usually they don't ovulate until feb-march.

When you say "i try to keep one side around 85-90degrees, while the other is around 70ish" How are you measuring those temps? Another common reason why snakes go off food is the wrong temps. Walmart sells digital thermometers for cheep, they are in the thermostat isle. It's good too have an accurite tempurature reading device, those dials petshops like to push on people are known for being off.

Has anything changed to scare him?
    I have not seen a hognose in person ever, they are not allowed as pets in Alberta since they are a native animal. Fuzzies seems like a small meal for a 6 year old snake(my 6 month old cornsnakes are eating fuzzies). Is it leaving a noticable lump when he eats?

5. DDmac

DDmac New Member

Thank you for the reply, i do have two temperature readers on either side, although i can't tell you for certainty that they are accurate. He is very small even for his species, not sure why that has happened, but he can't be more than 20ish inches at best. and when he eats the larger fuzzies he certainly has nice bulge in his stomach and he usually won't eat until at least a week after, unlike with pinkies were he will want to eat around 3 days after.

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

If they are the little round dials then they are usually off. I would look into a digital thermometer, the ones at walmart are $4-20 I believe. Knowing the temp in his basking area and cool side will help. If it's too low its harder for them to digest their food. Which could explain the slow growth and not wanting to eat.