This Disappears When Logged In

Western Hognose Questions

Discussion in 'Hognose Snakes' started by Prometheus, May 4, 2017.

1. Prometheus

Prometheus New Member

Hey, everyone!

I have been thinking about getting a Western Hognose snake. They look really cool and somewhat resemble a rattlesnake! First, I must do some research, learn more about them, and know their basic requirements prior to even getting one to see if it is the right pet for me.

If I do get one, I would really like to make a very naturalistic enclosure for it. When I say naturalistic, I mean I don't want to use aspen bedding or newspaper. Instead, I would like to use a type of substrate that mimics their natural habitat such as Zoo Med's excavator or Exo Terra's sand mat. I've seen some setups for the Western Hognose snake, but I do not liked many of them since most use the aspen bedding/shavings. These snakes inhabit Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and other areas that I would imagine to be somewhat semi arid to desert like. With that being said, is it okay to use the sand mat or excavator as a substrate?

Also, from what I've been researching so far, these snakes like to burrow themselves. Perhaps in a space(s) in the enclosure I can provide for them some loose substrate such as sand (not so fine nor dusty) or dry leaf pile if that is ok.

I have more questions and I hope I can get as many helpful answers as possible.

Are there any recommendations or advice on how I can set up a good, natural enclosure?
    What size is recommended for one Western Hognose snake?
    Are males or females more aggressive?
    Do they require UVB lighting?
    How often should I feed it?
    What are the cost estimates of buying a hognose and a complete setup?

Lastly, if anyone has pictures of their naturalistic set up for a Western Hognose that would like to share here for inspiration that would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. glitterprinxe

glitterprinxe New Member

I am admittedly not a hognose expert, but I know that they do live wild in areas like Nebraska so I would check that out since the heat and humidity levels are so different there than areas like Arizona! I have never heard of them out here in Arizona though that is very interesting I think

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member