This Disappears When Logged In

Went Too Whiteplains Expo and Got This Little Guy!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Nickysixx, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Originally saw this little guy at the parsipanny expo and I've had my eye on him since so I saw him again at white plains and HAD to get him! He's a hypo male red sandfire. He's amazingly comfortable with people.

Attached Files:

2. OEW

OEW Elite Member

Oh my, cute!!

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So cute and tiny!

4. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Thank you!! I can't think of a name for him yet :( he's an awesome little guy!

5. OEW

OEW Elite Member

It'll come to you. :)

6. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Sooo cute!! I bet he'll be a handsome bugger when he gets bigger! Congrats!! Is he liking his new enclosure?

7. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Thanks! I hope I come up with a name soon. I saw pictures of his parents and they were beautiful. For how much I paid for him I hope I get what he's worth haha. Hes from a guy in California's that I guess is a famous breeder so. It's funny a 10 gallon looks huge for him. I went to put him in my 40 Breeder and he would get lost haha. He also hasn't even gone through first shed yet so I hope to see the orange a bit brighter in a bit.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  8. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

He honestly shouldn't be in a 10 gallon tank, if you have something bigger that would honestly be better. For one why put them through new cage stress twice and for 2 it is easier to create a good gradient on a larger tank and although it seems like they would get lost? it actually gives you as an owner a greater chance to provide more different textures and surfaces to explore. Along with different heights.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It is impossible for a hatchling beardie to get lost in any cage. Just think how much space they have in the wild!
    Besides which his are you going to achieve the proper temp gradient of 105-115 on the basking spot and 75-80 on the cold side in a cage less than a foot long? Plus have room for hides, bowls and climbing objects?

10. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Valid points, the way I have the lights now, ones on a hanger on a angle so it's over the edge where his basking ledge is, and the UVB bulb is on the cool side and that seems to stay at about 75-80. I'll clean up the 40 gallon and put him in there this week:)

Attached Files:

11. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

That would be better. I know they seem really small at first, but they enjoy the room and will grow into the tank before you know it!! And if you have to clean the glass, a suggestion I would make is use vinegar

12. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

No problem makes sense, just like Rex was tiny in his 40 gallon and he's still a baby and has a huge cage now. Haha. I've heard vinegar is great for taking away calcium deposits and stuff for shower heads, never thought about my tanks though. Thanks :) much appreciated:)

13. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

No problem! It works well, its non toxic and no hassles with it.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Thank you for upgrading him he will be much happier!

15. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

He's going through his first shed now, I just noticed his tail is Ashe and a piece of skin fell off it already in the middle. I hope his colors lighten up a lot more than they already are :D this is his first shed ever so I'm excited!

Attached Files:

16. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Aww I am so glad you are happy with your new friend! That always helps!

17. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

:D I'll put him in his 40 Gallon tonight so I will post pictures of him in his GIANT emtpy encloure where he will probably run around like a maniac.

haha.

18. herpgirl250

herpgirl250 Elite Member

So cute I like the colors.

19. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Since you will be moving him into a big new enclosure, make sure you have lots of hiding places for him. You can get thick branches from outside, rocks etc to give him places to feel secure, and allow him to climb. They love climbing and getting up high when given the opportunity.

Also, make sure the UVB light is on the same side as the basking light. You want to have a gradient with your UVB, much like you do with the heat.

20. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Thanks everyone for the advice! Just cleaned out the 40 gallon going to petsmart to get some repti carpet, water dish, food dish, rocks and some other misc goods, will update with pictures tonight. :)